8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2011 5:24 PM by TKnTexas

How to set runtime's printer to "default"?

Contour

Title

How to set runtime's printer to "default"?

I've read a lot of the posts on the issues of using multiple printers and of the printer selection reverting to the PC's default printer instead of the setting specified in a script.  My issue is even more fundamental.

In my built runtimes, the printer selection defaults to the printer I use in my FMP 10 development system -- not the default printer on the user's computer (where the runtime is installed).  I simply want FileMaker to use the setting on the user's PC.  How can I clear out any development printer selection so the installed runtime comes up "printer neutral"?

This has been a source of confusion for some time now.  Thanks in advance for any help.

• 1. Re: How to set runtime's printer to "default"?
          philmodjunk

Since you don't know what printer and printers your user will have installed when they use your run time solution, you might consider the following design change:

Modify your scripts so that instead of print, they enter preview mode and pause. Instruct your users to select print from the file menu at this point if they want hard copy. They can then use the printer setup and print dialogs as needed to print however they need to. The user then presses the enter key to trigger your script to continue. Make "Enter browse mode" the next script step after the script is paused.

This method isn't perfect, but it dodges a lot of printer issues and gives the user a log of control in how they print out a particular report.

If your run time solution ignores the user specified printer selection and settings to use the printer you specifed during development, I'd suggest reporting this as a bug.

• 2. Re: How to set runtime's printer to "default"?
            Contour

Thanks for the response.  Actually, that's the opposite direction I'd like to take users.  I'd like to keep them in the dining room and out of the kitchen, so to speak.

PhilModJunk wrote:

If your run time solution ignores the user specified printer selection and settings to use the printer you specifed during development, I'd suggest reporting this as a bug.

The runtime doesn't ignore the user's selection.  If they've made one, the runtime remembers their selection from one request to the next.  If not, the runtime shows the default printer from my development system.  That's the part I want to change.  I want the runtime (after it's installed) to either show No Printer Selected or automatically select the Default Printer on the user's PC.  Either would be fine.  Is that not possible?  Would it require some change to a registry setting after the runtime is installed?

• 3. Re: How to set runtime's printer to "default"?
              TSGal

Contour:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker Pro 10 is very specific when it comes to printing.  If the solution specifies a printer that is neither connected to the computer nor available on the network, then FileMaker Pro will print to the default printer.

If you are writing a solution for a client, then you should go to the client site and specify the printers before binding the solution.  This ensures the correct printers are being used.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: How to set runtime's printer to "default"?
                philmodjunk

Contour wrote:

Thanks for the response.  Actually, that's the opposite direction I'd like to take users.  I'd like to keep them in the dining room and out of the kitchen, so to speak.

I understand, and it's your solution to design as you see fit, but in my opinion, allowing the user to select printers and options is a pretty safe kitchen in most cases. After all, they're choosing File | Print as the way to print things out in almost all other applications so this is pretty safe, familiar territory for most.

There are indeed, very good reasons for NOT doing this in some cases, which is why I said "it doesn't work in all situations".

• 5. Re: How to set runtime's printer to "default"?
                  Contour

FileMaker Pro 10 is very specific when it comes to printing.  If the solution specifies a printer that is neither connected to the computer nor available on the network, then FileMaker Pro will print to the default printer.

TSGal, this may be a basis for a solution.  I'll have to work with it to see if I can emulate a "No Printer Selected" case for the generated runtime.  If that forces FMP to use the PC's default printer then I'll have the result I need.   BTW, my runtime is more of a bubble-wrap-style application that won't know anything in advance about the PC's printers.

Thanks for the information.

• 6. Re: How to set runtime's printer to "default"?
                    philmodjunk

the print step Print[no dialog] is supposed to print using the currently selected printer. If nothing has been selected that should be the default printer.

• 7. Re: How to set runtime's printer to "default"?
                      Contour

In my built runtimes, the printer selection defaults to the printer I use in my FMP 10 development system

That's where I got started on this.  My experience is that somehow the development PC's printer selection is being picked up in the runtime -- I suppose because I test the printing before building.

Do you know of a way to clear that selection before the build?

BTW, my initial test of selecting a dummy printer (one that I "made up" on my development PC) seems to work -- but I've got more testing to do.

• 8. Re: How to set runtime's printer to "default"?
                        TKnTexas

I have a run-time that is used by 1 of 3 users at end of day.  It was created with ver10.3 on WinXP.  Two of the users have the same network printer as the default.  For one it prints to the default.  For the other it prints to the MS 'adobe-wannabe' to create a xps file.  How come it does not use the last used or the default?