11 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2013 10:49 PM by oldgustav

How to setup Auto Start FMP Host File at Startup of Computer

carolchansen

Title

How to setup Auto Start FMP Host File at Startup of Computer

I'm having trouble opening the "Host" file automatically at startup on the host computer. When I put the file in the list of "Login Items" in the admin user's account (In "Users & Groups" in System Preferences) like I have always done, a strange thing happens. 

On Login (or Restart) when I would expect it to open, the FMP icon in the dock starts jumping for attention. Not the slow bounce thats normal when an app is starting, this is the high quick bounce like when an app wants attention. At this point the file isn't open - can't be connected to from other computers on the network.

So I click on the bouncing icon in the dock, and bingo the file opens and then everything is fine. The problem is that somebody has to click on the dock icon after each startup.

I have tried checking the "Reopen windows when logging back in" checkbox in the Restart dialog.

I have tried UNchecking the "Close windows when quitting applications" checkbox in General System Preferences.

I have tried having both the Host file and the FMP app in the "Login Items" list, but that gets you the open file dialog the same as if you just started FMP without a file.

Any ideas? 

• 1. Re: How to setup Auto Start FMP Host File at Startup of Computer
          JimMac

FMP does a helpful start up Screen.  Try clicking the option on that startup screen to not show when "opening".  Another possibilty is the Security setting for your file.

Jim...

• 2. Re: How to setup Auto Start FMP Host File at Startup of Computer
            JerryJensen

Thanks for the suggestions Jim!

The startup screen isn't involved - its been checked off for a long time. i don't think its possible that a security setting is wrong since the file opens just fine when double-clicked in the Finder. 

The strangest thing is that when it tries to start at Login, the icon in the dock leaps as if needing attention. At that point remote access doesn't work. Simply clicking on the dock icon makes the file pop open and all is well including remote access. 

Anybody have more ideas?

• 3. Re: How to setup Auto Start FMP Host File at Startup of Computer
              philmodjunk

Sounds similar to this issue:

For More Information see:     FMPro won't launch in the background Mac OSX

This is one of many acknowledged bugs that can be found in the Known Bug List thread here in the Report an Issue section of the forum.

It can also be downloaded as a database file from:    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt09b82i0xijbu3/FMP%20Bugs.zip

• 4. Re: How to setup Auto Start FMP Host File at Startup of Computer
                JerryJensen

Bingo, PhilModJunk! That is the same bug. It was first reported in Sept. 2010 (!). I'll try a workaround by writing a little launcher app in LiveCode. If it works, I'll share it. What a PITA!

• 5. Re: How to setup Auto Start FMP Host File at Startup of Computer
                  JimMac

Just curious...

Do you launch more than Filemake at the Login?

How many Users have login privileges?

I didn't get the bounce on a Test with FMP11 and MacOS 10.7.5...surprise

Not the most recent stuff, but...

Jim...

• 6. Re: How to setup Auto Start FMP Host File at Startup of Computer
                    JerryJensen

Hi Jim,

There is only one user on that machine. It is an admin user. Its Login Items were only iTunes Helper and the Host file I'm trying to open. The only FMP user is Admin, with full priveleges.

OSX 10.8.3, FMP 12v4. Plenty of disk and RAM.

I have a successful, if clumsy, workaround. I made a little (very little) stack in LiveCode 5.5.4 that just launches my host file and quits. This is the stack script:

on openstack

launch document "~/Desktop/Maint-Databases/HOST-FILE.fmp12"

wait 5 seconds -- this is necessary, maybe longer for a slower machine

quit

end openstack

I put this stack in the Login Items instead of the FMP host file that was previously there, and it seems to work reliably.

This could be much more efficient. I'm running the stack in the LiveCode IDE, not as a standalone. The document path is hard coded, that will need to be changed for somebody else. It uses a lot more resources than seem reasonable for the simple little job it does, but I don't care. I'm tired of chasing this bug. That computer is never supposed to restart anyway - but we all know UPS's fail and so on and so on. LiveCode has just gone Free Open Source with version 6, so if somebody wants to use this its just a bit of learning curve, but no $$. See www.runrev.com .

Cheers! I'm feeling better about this weekend already.

• 7. Re: How to setup Auto Start FMP Host File at Startup of Computer
                      JimMac

I had seen this "anomolly' laugh when i was testing MacOS bugs for Phil's Known Bug List .  I have not converted MacOS to most recent, for other reasons.  The "bounce" is a task que wait, as you correctly noted.  The known bug was about swiching "spaces" or "mission control" while FMP was doing its start up.

You have picked up on the key issue... time delay....  My best guess too.

I dumped my iTunes helper, which the only difference from my start up test and your experience.

FMP does some checking at startup, my guesses

1)License

2)Indexing

3)File consistancy

4) other stuff..., Open screen, set application, menu bar.....

N) Execute the Open Script

You might check this by a test Host with just a few records, no external files and an Open Script with a BEEP BEEP BEEP.  The point is if that test passes, then it could "clear the way" and do a delayed start up of your main DB.

Jim...

Jim...

• 8. Re: How to setup Auto Start FMP Host File at Startup of Computer
                        JimMac

Since I am heading toward your spot in my DB conversions, I queried Apple.com Support groups for an answer or work around. No answer yetsad!

But ...

I did see some similar quieries.surprise Two possible solutions on similar Dock behavior.

1) Repair permissions with Disk Utiltiy or other disk management  program.

2) Delete the .plist for FileMaker Pro in the User Library.  It will be rebuilt by FMP on next launch.

I will let you know if i get an anwser from Apple.

Jim...

• 9. Re: How to setup Auto Start FMP Host File at Startup of Computer
                          JerryJensen

Hi Jim,

Readt the thread that PhilModJunk linked to above - FMPro won't launch in the background Mac OSX

It was started in 2010 by Scott Gurley. Wow, what are the chances? :-)

Anyway this is a real problem that FM needs to fix. No other apps have this startup behavior -er- problem. I'm OK with my workaround. It should be simpler using AppleScript, but I know LiveCode better so thats what I used. Now we can get along with using OP Carol Hansen's wonderful FM setup.

• 10. Re: How to setup Auto Start FMP Host File at Startup of Computer
                            JimMac

I did read it and the other ones in Phil's bug list.

I was going to claim Scott as a lost Rich Uncle until i found out he was as broke as I am.surprise

Here is why I don't think FMP is going to change it, in the short run... let's see ... 3 yrs since the Noted Bugcrying

They are checking for license's.  They do this on signing off.  It is a background Task.  

I did take note of the Applescript time delay to launch the Host file.

But on my Quick test, I didn't get the behavior since FMP11 was solo in the StartUp que.

I will keep on plugging at pure answers for my own needs.cool

Jim...

• 11. Re: How to setup Auto Start FMP Host File at Startup of Computer
                              oldgustav

I have been able to sort this problem with a very simple Applescript that launches at start up and opens the FMP file in question. How strange that we have to have this rediculous work around for such a sophisticated and mature s/w program.