AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to setup Filemaker ODBC client connection on Mac?

Question asked by PeterGort on Jul 14, 2009
Latest reply on Apr 21, 2010 by marcherm

Title

How to setup Filemaker ODBC client connection on Mac?

I'm trying to setup a Filemaker Pro 10 client to access a Filemaker Pro Server Advanced 10 database, via ODBC. (Why not just use the regular filemaker client to server connection? There's a very very good reason, but it's too long to go into here). The file has the [fmxdbc] extended privilege enabled, and is being served on a Filemaker Server Advanced server with ODBC/JDBC serving turned on.  Both Server and Client are Mac OS X 10.5.7.

On the client machine I have installed the Sequelink.bundle file in the /Library/ODBC/ folder, and checked the permissions on the bundle, which are set to owner/group root/admin and read/write for owner and group and read only for others.  As per the fm10_odbc_jdbc_guide_en.pdf, page 13.

I opened ODBC Administrator and attempted to create a system DSN, but Sequelink doesn't appear in the driver list.  So I went to the Drivers tab,  added and entry and called it "Filemaker" and specified the path /Library/ODBC/SequeLink.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ivslk20.dylib, again as per the fm10_odbc_jdbc_guide_en.pdf, page 13.  Unfortunately that document is NOT very clear on how to set up a mac ODBC client!  After I had created that driver entry, I was able to set up a DSN.  But, nowhere in this did it ask for IP address or any other connection details.  So I figured it must be in the keywords and values area of the DSN in ODBC Administrator.  Unfortunately if you add a keyword and value line, they are not editable in the ODBC Administrator!  Anyway, I figured out that drivers are specified in /Library/ODBC/odbcinst.ini, and DSNs are in the /Library/ODBC/odbc.ini file, so the next thing I had to find out what were the appropriate keywords.  The only thing I have been able to find that might help was page 17 of http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/documentation/fm8_odbc_jdbc_developer.pdf

So I edited my odbc.ini file to look like this:

[MyMacbook]

Driver           = /Library/ODBC/SequeLink.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ivslk20.dylib

Description      = 

Host             = 10.0.0.101

Port             = 2399

ServerDataSource = ODBCTesting

Now when I open ODBC Administrator and look at the DSN "MyMacbook" I see Host, Port, and ServerDataSource as the keywords and the values are there too.  I thought I was making progress. However when I try running iodbctest in the terminal, I get this response:

1: SQLDriverConnect = [DataDirect][ODBC SequeLink driver]Error parsing connect string at offset 9.  (2704) SQLSTATE=HY000

1: ODBC_Connect = [DataDirect][ODBC SequeLink driver]Error parsing connect string at offset 9.  (2704) SQLSTATE=HY000

I'm lost.  The fm10_odbc_jdbc_guide_en.pdf is really really vague here, from which I construe that no-one at Filemaker actually tried it... or could figure it out.  Anybody got any ideas?

Outcomes