2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2014 5:51 AM by HugoLidia

How to show 3 tables on one layout via portals

HugoLidia

Title

How to show 3 tables on one layout via portals

I want to be able to have the main details from Table 1 on the layout, along with the details from 2 other tables, but can't make them active i.e. User cannot input new records on Table2 nor Table3.

So if Table 1 is Customer, Table 2 is Service and Table 3 is Assets, we want to be able to Add the Customer details as normal input then click in the Service portal on the same layout to add the Service(s) the customer has contracted and then add the Assets from a portal on the same layout.

This does not appear to be an issue with the relationships between the tables, as the portal for Services correctly shows the Services for each Customer, and the assets relating to the Services are also shown in their separate portal on this same layout, but we cannot ADD a new service via this portal we have to switch to another Layout ( i.e. Service Layout) to add the Service record.  As soon as theUser goes back to the main layout the newly added service is visible.  We just cant add the new service from the main layout.

What have we forgotten to do/enable ?

• 1. Re: How to show 3 tables on one layout via portals
          Markus Schneider

In the definition window (double click on a relationship in the relationship graph): Is 'allow creation of records..' checked? (I don't have an english version of FileMaker Pro here, so the text may differ...)

• 2. Re: How to show 3 tables on one layout via portals
            HugoLidia

Thanks, but yes, that is selected.

Actually I went and doubled checked and it wasn't on the services tables.  Thanks for the reminder!  DOH!

However, as Table 1 record 1 has 2 service records in Table 2 and each one of these services has an asset in Table 3, what I what to show in table 3 is only the asset(s) of the currently selected service from Table 2.  At the moment having created a second instance of Table 3, the second portal correctly shows just the records (assets) relating to the Table 2 (Service) record, but only for the first record. If one clicks onto the second or third record in the Table 2 portal, the associated records in table 3 do not change/ get displayed they remain on the records for table 3 that relate to the first record in Table 2.

How does one get the layout to show just the asset (Table 3), of the SELECTED service (Table 2) for the current record (Table 1) - assuming when the User moves to or finds a record in Table 1, the first record in Table 2 is automatically selected when the layout is loaded.

I Have tried using a GoToRelated record script when I click on the Table 2 - Service No Field but this generates an error "this layout cannot display the result"