5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2010 6:02 PM by HugoLidia

How to show one record and all records on one layout?

HugoLidia

Title

How to show one record and all records on one layout?

On the same layout I want to be able to show the details of one record and then next to it, like a portal to the same table, to show a table listing of all the records.  I've tried a TO for the listing of all, but that only gives me all records for one related customer.  Once I have the table lisitng all the records I've sort them into open records and closed.

Using Windows XP SP3 & FMP 10

• 1. Re: How to show one record and all records on one layout?
          philmodjunk

Yep, a portal is exactly what you'd use. You just need a different relationship.

In the portal's relationship, you can use X instead of = to match all records instead of just the current customer's.

You can even make the rows clickable so that selecting a record in the list pulls up the detail data for that record in the other part of your layout.

• 2. Re: How to show one record and all records on one layout?
            HugoLidia

Thanks once again Phil, it was the X that I didn't know about.

But the selection does not work. Did you mean I need to write a script to make this work or that it would work by default?

Finally had chance to go back to this.  By using a GTRR script this works fine.

• 3. Re: How to show one record and all records on one layout?
              merrill

HugoLidia / Phil,

Was able to accomplish the list portal with a new TO using "X" to connect the related fields (using key fields), but like you (originally) cannot get the button format to change the related field in the details record using GTRR script.  I "formatted" a button on the related child text field in the portal, got the related record from the parent (detail table) and displayed it on the current layout, but the detail record does not change.

I sense that the script is fetching the related record on the parent as the source and not using the field contained within the button, so the result is that it is just going to itself.

Any hints on how you were able to get it to work would be much appreciated.

• 4. Re: How to show one record and all records on one layout?
                philmodjunk

It's hard to tell without taking a closer look at your script, table and layout design.

Performaing a GTRR from the portal should make the selected record in the portal your current record. However, GTRR has a very large list of different options to specify and is not fully detailed. It will also fail to make any change in layout, current record and/or found set if there are no matching records for the specified table occurrence.

If you want to read up on this script step click this link:

The Complete Go To Related Record

GTRR is actually only one of at least three ways to make a portal click select for the "detail view" of the record.

You can use the info in the portal record to perform a find for that record on the layout's fields.

You can set up the fields in the detail sections fields from a related table occurrence linked to a global field. The script then simply sets the ID field--this last option can keep your portal's scroll bar from "popping" back to the top as you stay on the current record.

• 5. Re: How to show one record and all records on one layout?
                  HugoLidia
                     Heavy stuff!  Thanks for notes - will try and work through this over the next week, as I need to stop the portal going back to top and it only does it because of my script with GTRR in.  Will let you know how I get on.