3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2011 10:45 AM by philmodjunk

How to sort graph data into ascending order?

MarkPeters

Title

How to sort graph data into ascending order?

I want to make a graph of grades (0% - 100%).  Grades should be displayed on the X-axis, and quantity of instances of that grade represented on Y-axis.  Each record has one grade entered into it.  I would like to have an area graph displayed of all grade data, as well as an indication of where the current record's grade sits on that graph.  

The closest I can get to this is:

Use Data From: Current Found Set

Horizontal (X) Axis: Grades Field

Vertical (Y) Axis: Count (Grades Field)

...this does not display the "indicator" of the current grade's record.  If I use the other "Use Data From:" options (I.e. related records), it ONLY shows the data form the current record (and not the entire set).  

Also, the Y-axis does not recognize the whole set.  It displays grades in chronological (not ascending by value) and when a grade is repeated (75%), it creates another X-axis value 75%, rather than increasing the first 75%'s Y-value to 2.

• 1. Re: How to sort graph data into ascending order?
          philmodjunk

It looks to me like your data should fall into discrete categories for your grades: (90...100 = A, 80..89 = B, and so forth)

That would seem to better fit a bar chart of your data instead of an area chart.

In any case, to answer the specific question asked in your title, with each record recording a different grade, you sort the graph data by sorting the records from which they are charted. But unless you use the "show data points for groups of data" option, each record charts as a separate point as you have already discovered.

• 2. Re: How to sort graph data into ascending order?
            MarkPeters

When I click "show data points for groups of data" it still treats each record as a separate point.

• 3. Re: How to sort graph data into ascending order?
              philmodjunk

Not if the records are sorted by grade and if the records have exactly the same grade.

I don't think this will give you the results you want, however unless you also have a summary field to count your records to use for the Y axis.

Even then if you have values like: 85.2%, 86.3%, 98.2%... you may want to set up a calculation field that produces a single value for all scores that fall in a given range (and then you'd sort by this calculation field.)