9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2012 10:21 AM by philmodjunk

How to sum column of numbers?

mattnyc

Title

How to sum column of numbers?

Basic, I know.  But I've searched the support and videos and can't find any how-to that makes any sense to me.  I just want to add up a column of numbers.  Is there a function to do this?

Screen_Shot_2012-09-30_at_12.00.42_PM.png

• 1. Re: How to sum column of numbers?
          schamblee

In table view right click the column header then select trailing subtotal then select total or running total.  There are a few choices.

• 2. Re: How to sum column of numbers?
            mattnyc

Thanks for suggestion.  I'm looking for "trailing subtotal" and "running total".  Now I'm stumped.  Not in help, knowledge base or in any menus.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

I'm FMPro 11.0

• 3. Re: How to sum column of numbers?
              philmodjunk

Add field of type summary to your table. define it as the "total of Fair Market Value".

• 4. Re: How to sum column of numbers?
                mattnyc

I added a field type summary as suggested.  It gives me a total of the number of records in the report.  What I want to do is...  Each record has a value in dollars.  I want add those up and get a grand total. 

• 5. Re: How to sum column of numbers?
                  philmodjunk

Define it as the total of your number field, not the count of it.

• 6. Re: How to sum column of numbers?
                    mattnyc

When I use "total" all the fields are disabled (see screen shot below).  The numbers in the colum have no dashes or dollars signs. 

• 7. Re: How to sum column of numbers?
                      philmodjunk

That indicates that Fair Market Value is not the correct data type. It should either be a number field or a calculation field that returns number. I predict that the field currently is either text or a calculation that returns text. (The return type for a calculation field is specified in a drop down in the lower left corner of the specify calculation dialog box.)

• 8. Re: How to sum column of numbers?
                        mattnyc

Thanks for your patience!  But I'm still stuck.

The column I want to add up consists of number containters.  On "Specify Calculation" window, the lower left drop down menu is marked "number".  I mark the column, then "+" and then "=".  Then it asks me upper right:  View:  "all functions by type."  I get the same error message no matter what function I select:  "Unexpected end of calculation."  Do you have an idea what I'm doing wrong?

• 9. Re: How to sum column of numbers?
                          philmodjunk

I mark the column, then "+" and then "=".

That expression makes no sense to FileMaker (and it makes no sense to me either) and thus you get an error message.

What is the calculation that you are trying to setup and why?

Please note that syntax such as:

Fair Market Value $ = 5 + 6

will be incorrect.

You would enter just:

5 + 6

To define that calculation for the Fair Market Value $ field.

And to add a field from either the left hand list or a function from the right hand list, you'd double click an entry in those lists. Functions selected from the right hand list will require additional editing after they have been added in most cases.