3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2010 12:19 PM by philmodjunk

How to summarize value list?

bookalaka_1

Title

How to summarize value list?

I would like to advice on this solution. I am creating a form for sales calls with a field with 10 multiple values with check boxes.

Doesn't need, Too expensive,  Follow Up, etc ... What I would like to happen is as every box is checked the result goes into a text  field that can then be  exported to excel.

I know I can create single fields and string them together although I haven't been able to figure out how not to show the comma when a result isnt selected. example;  Loved & "," & dislikes & "," & follow up.

Preferably would like to have one field with multiple check boxes and a summary of the results in a text field.

I couldn't find any post for this but somehow I feel it must be done all the time.

Thanks for guidance.

Bookalaka

• 1. Re: How to summarize value list?
          philmodjunk

The selected values in a check box formatted field are stored as a list of values separated by carriage returns. If we just replace the returns with commas, we'll have your list:

Thus a calculation field such as:

Substitute ( CheckBoxField ; ¶ ; ", " )

Should give you your comma separated list.

• 2. Re: How to summarize value list?
            bookalaka_1

Fabulous works like a charm Thank you!. 

since I am using this in my iphone and limited space how would I take to the next step which is

When  say check box 1 named "cost"  is checked  a more detailed description can be looked up ? I would love to abbreviate my value list descriptions and have more information inserted in the calculation field. I tried using a value list from another field but this gives me the full description next to the check box.

Thanks for direction.

• 3. Re: How to summarize value list?
              philmodjunk

Someone may chime in with a better idea, but I think you'd need either a separate calculation for each value or you'd have to separate your check box group in to separate fields--possibly in a related table so that you can use a portal to display them in a group. Then you could set up a lookedup value setting on the portal records to copy the full description over from yet another related table.

The list function can then pull your individual selections back into a combined list.

List ( PortalTable::DescriptionField ) would compute the same list format as our original check box field and this expression:

Substitute ( List ( PortalTable::DescriptionField ) ; ¶ ; ", " )

Will subsitute commas for returns.