7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2014 10:05 AM by philmodjunk

How to troubleshoot a runtime

NaturSalus

Title

How to troubleshoot a runtime

Hello,

I am having  recurrent problem with all my runtimes when run under MS Windows 7, MS Windows 8 and MS Windows 8.1; but not under MS Windows Xp.

The problem is that I can't create new records with the runtime. By the way, runtime creation is scripted.

The problem happens both using FMP12A and FMP13A.

To bundle the runtime and create the executable for Windows I am using Inno Setup 5.5.5 (http://www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php)

Let's say that I have created a project either with FMP12A or FMP13A.

If it is a database it runs perfectly well under FMP12, FMP13 and MS Windows XP, MS Windows 7, MS Windows 8, and MS Windows 8.1

If the project is a runtime and Inno Setup 5.5.5 is used to create an executable for MS Windows:

• It runs okay under MS Windows Xp.
      •      
      • It can't create new records under MS Windows 7, MS WIndows 8, MS WIndows 8.1

The first posible culprit would be the software used to create the executable, that is: Inno Setup 5.5.5

I am using a scripted login system and still it is working under MS Windows no matter the version. So I would say that Inno Setup didn't screw up.

Other than that, the runtimes seems to be working okay: You can move through scripting to the different parts of the software, and you get listed all the commands associated to the different buttons. Since all this actions are scripted, the "issue" doesn't block all the scripts; but just Create New record.

It is not a Security setting issue, since the problem doesn't show up when the project is run as a database.

Any suggestions as to how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks,

• 1. Re: How to troubleshoot a runtime
          philmodjunk

Do you get an error message that tells you that the file is not modifiable?

If so, it would appear that the data base file is either being created by the installer with its Read Only property set or it is being installed in a folder (such as the programs folder) where the user does not have "write" access permission.

• 2. Re: How to troubleshoot a runtime
            NaturSalus

Hello Phil,

Thanks for looking into my question.

Do you get an error message that tells you that the file is not modifiable?

Nope, I don't get any error, but nothing happens.

As shown in the image under the RECORDS button lies the zRESOURCES::_record field that gets a value from the RecordsAll value list.

The  zRESOURCES::_record field triggers OnObjectModify the "RecordActions" script that based on the value selected from the value list carries different actions. like: Perform Script ["New Record"]

The strange thing is that it is working under MS Windows XP.

Thanks

• 3. Re: How to troubleshoot a runtime
              philmodjunk

I don't really "get" what you are trying to show me with this screen shot.

But I need more info on what is happening. Then I can do a few tests here and see if I can replicate or not.

What exact behavior are you seeing?

Can you enter data into fields, but the data is not retained?

Or are you unable to enter data at all into fields of the database?

One "gotcha" that tripped me up just yesterday while developing a new part of my latest "Adventures In FileMaking" series was that my layout worked just fine with at least one record in the layout's table. If I deleted all records, everything looked correct, but I couldn't enter data into the fields and controls for selecting values from other tables (that did have data) looked correct but failed to enter data into the current record (because there was no current record).

This possible scenario comes to mind because you might have data in a table when developing and testing, but when you generate the runtime for distribution, the same table might be empty of records and then produce an unexpected change in behavior.

Caulkins Consulting, Home of Adventures In FileMaking

• 4. Re: How to troubleshoot a runtime
                NaturSalus

If so, it would appear that the data base file is either being created by the installer with its Read Only property set or it is being installed in a folder (such as the programs folder) where the user does not have "write" access permission.

When you create a runtime of one of your projects, where do you send your application folder:

Program Files folder 

or

a Custom folder?

• 5. Re: How to troubleshoot a runtime
                  NaturSalus

I don't really "get" what you are trying to show me with this screen shot.

The purpose is to show under which setup I am observing the reported issue.

What exact behavior are you seeing?

I can login through a scripted login.

I can move around the different parts of ths runtime through scripting.

When I click on the RECORDS button and select Create New Record, nothing happens and a new record is not created.

And as you can guess, if I can't create a new record then there isn't much I can do:

I can't type into the field.

I can't do searches.

etc

Can you enter data into fields, but the data is not retained?

No, since I can't create the record to begin with.

Or are you unable to enter data at all into fields of the database?

First comes record creation that fails in my case. So, no chance to enter data.

Caulkins Consulting, Home of Adventures In FileMaking

It has been a long while since the last time I logged in this forum.

Glad to hear that you have finally got into ciber space!

I'll keep track of your facebook page.

• 6. Re: How to troubleshoot a runtime
                    NaturSalus

You were right one more time.

Instead of installing the runtime under the programs folder I did into a folder like Filemaker, and bingo!

Now I can create records and everything is working fine.

I know that writing a book won't make you rich, but what about a database with questions asked and your answers...

Thanks again,

Jose

• 7. Re: How to troubleshoot a runtime
                      philmodjunk

Take a look at the FaceBook page for which I posted a link in my last post. Adventures In FileMaking is my name for what I hope to produce as a series of FileMaker Example files. It's basically my book idea re-invented in a simpler format that lets me produce it on an "installment schedule" sort of like serializing a book to a magazine, but with pages that contain live working examples of the concepts that I am writing about. Thus, you can read about them, see them work in browse mode and then you can "pop the hood" and examine the actual design of each working example. Readers are even encouraged to take a copy of the file and modify the design of different parts to see what happens as a way to learn how they work...