4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2012 1:40 PM by meg_cuddihee

How to turn off auto sorting in FMP10?

conchology

Title

How to turn off auto sorting in FMP10?

Hi All,
      Just upgraded to FMP 10. Got a small issue which I didn't anticipate. Filemaker is now auto sorting? The worst thing that could happen... is auto sorting for me.

As we are working on correcting sorted information; we correct fields that are sorted to find the mistakes, we correct 1 field to go to the next and check the correctness. Now this is not possible as we correct 1 field and the auto sort kicks in... 

Is it not possible to work anymore with partially sorted found set of records?

This is what happens: 
      - 1 table database : 10 fields no relationship
      - layout is in list view with no portals or anything.
      - script is with a find to find a set of data and I sort it to field x and y
      - the list view shows the results field y that needs to be corrected if needed.

If content of field Y is sorted it shows in rows as:
      record 1: field Y: abc
      record 2: field Y: bcd
      record 3: field Y: cde
      record 4: field Y: def

If field Y in record 2 is wrong - it needs to be changed manually to efg

in FMP 9 it would show as following:
      record 2: field Y: efg

And you can just continue browsing to the next record

in FMP 10 it auto sorts the result to:
      record 2: field Y: efg

Making it impossible to correct a found set of records sorted.

I've found a solutions to fix my problem - but it is with relookup fields which makes it quite impossible to work on 1000 of records a day, as it has to relookup a field z and w based on the values of field x and y - then sort on the field z and w and then you can change the values of x and y without having this autosort kicking in. It makes the process for nothing harder...

So, how can we turn this auto sorting thing off?

• 1. Re: How to turn off auto sorting in FMP10?
          comment_1

Yes, it would be very useful to have a choice between 'Sort Once' and 'Keep Sorted'.

I didn't understand your relookup idea. I believe I would populate a global variable with a list of ID's of the current found (and sorted) set, then use an "editing table" with only one field - an unstored calculation field =

GetValue ( $$IDs ; Get ( RecordNumber )

This would be related to the main table, matching the calculation field to the ID field in the main table.

• 2. Re: How to turn off auto sorting in FMP10?
            philmodjunk

I can think of a work-around. You'll have to decide if it's worth the bother.

Define a field of the same type as the field on which your layout is sorting.

Use Replace field contents to copy the data from your sort field to the new field.

Re-set the layout's sort order to sort on the new field.

Edit your data--since it's no longer sorting on the field being edited, the order will not change.

When finished, re-set the layout's sort order to sort on the original field.

• 3. Re: How to turn off auto sorting in FMP10?
              conchology

That is what I'm doing - a relookup which takes the latest info from field_x to field_sort_x, the replace will work also, then I sort the field_sort_x and I can change the info in the field_x without the auto sort kicking in.

I did some testing and the relookup is just that bit faster for me.

I had to make several special scripts to make it work for my employees. But it is a real pain in the a*s, as this partial-sort is just the easiest thing to work with as no programming and extra fields are needed. Now I need to add double fields with field_sort to do a kind of relookups/replace to get the same work done as in FMP 9. 

A real hassle, because now I cannot just sort a field anymore in the spur of the moment and work on that found set - Now I've to think about sorting the special field and then work on the other field... 

Please Filemaker give us 'Partially Sorted' back!

• 4. Re: How to turn off auto sorting in FMP10?
                meg_cuddihee

I too would like partial sorting as an option.