3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2013 6:43 AM by philmodjunk

How to use repetitions with lookups

NickLawrence

Title

How to use repetitions with lookups

Hi,

I have a repeating field that looks up data from another database, unfortunately I've only been able for it to work with the first line, the other 10.

e.g.

Fee          %       Role      Total

£100        5%      GN          £5

£200                   GN

The fee is entered, the role is selected from a drop down menu which then gets the % from another database, the total is then calculated.

The second line doesn't work when selecting a role, so not sure how to get it to work for each individual line.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Nick

• 1. Re: How to use repetitions with lookups
          philmodjunk

Yep, this is an inherent limitation to repeating fields. Don't use them. Use a table of related records, one in place of each repetition instead.

• 2. Re: How to use repetitions with lookups
            NickLawrence

Hi Phil,

Many thanks for your reply, I kind of gathered from reading some of your other posts about this, but I have absolutely no idea how to change them to tables of related records? Could you point me somewhere I can find this out?

Many thanks

Nick

• 3. Re: How to use repetitions with lookups
              philmodjunk

Simply define a new table with the needed fields. Include a match field to your original table and define your relationship. If you don't already have an auto-entered serial number field in your original table, add one and use Replace field contents to update all of your existing records to have serial number values. This is the field to use as a match field to your new related table.

Then use import records to import the data from your original table into the new table. (It'll look like you have to import records from another file, but just follow the steps and select the file you already have open as the file from which to import your records.) When you import the records map only the repeating field(s) and the serial number field to corresponding fields in the new table. When you click the Import button after mapping the fields, you'll get a small dialog appearing with an option to split data from your repeating fields into individual records. Select this option and import your records.