3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2013 3:52 PM by philmodjunk

How to use the Get(ActiveRepetitionNumber) function?

PeterGalloway

Title

How to use the Get(ActiveRepetitionNumber) function?

I'd like to determine and paste or insert into a global number field, the current selected repetition in a repetition field (where the cursor is) so that I can paste data to that repetition within a script. Can someone provide a sample of how to do this? I've had no success using the Get(ActiveRepetitonNumber) function. I guess I just don't know how to use it.

Filemaker v11

IMG_2411.jpg

• 1. Re: How to use the Get(ActiveRepetitionNumber) function?
          philmodjunk

Best solution is not to use that function. Repeating fields are rarely the best design option in FileMaker Databases.

The function should return the number of the repetition of a repeating field in which the cursor is currently located.

Nice car but tells me nothing about your database. wink

• 2. Re: How to use the Get(ActiveRepetitionNumber) function?
            PeterGalloway

Aplogies for the picture.  Picked the wrong one.

In any case, my data bases go way back to the early days of Filemaker when Repetetive fields were the only option. Thus, over the years this has carried thru to our present version using FP11. With all the data we have, to make a major change woud be an enormous undertaking frought with risk.

It does not make sense to me that the function does not work as it logically should.

Any help is welcome.

• 3. Re: How to use the Get(ActiveRepetitionNumber) function?
              philmodjunk

It does work as it logically should.

If the cursor is in the 3rd repetition of a repeating field, this function returns the number 3.

Splitting repeating fieilds into multiple individual related records may be easier than you think. FileMaker comes with an option for that which can make it a pretty straight forward transition.