7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 21, 2009 9:56 AM by ninja

How to view portal data in list view?

erob

Title

How to view portal data in list view?

Hey guys!

I have a table for contacts and one for jobs. People can be related to Jobs (or projects) they have worked on and show up in a portal on the job's overview page. This way I see everybody who has worked on a job.

But how can I view all the related contacts in a list view form? I'd want to be able to see them in a list view and then export their info for a callsheet.

Thanks so much.

Best,

Rob 

• 1. Re: How to view portal data in list view?
          raybaudi

A simple script step:

Go to related record [ using a list view layout and showing ALL the related records ]

• 2. Re: How to view portal data in list view?
            erob

Ray,

Thanks so much. Just a teeny tiny bit more detail would save me hours of experimenting :) I'd go from the jobs layout to a list view layout and...? I'm not sure I fully understand.

But thanks. I'll give it a whirl.

R. 

• 3. Re: How to view portal data in list view?
              ninja

Howdy erob,

You would not leave the jobs layout.  You would activate a script that has a single step:

"GoToRelatedRecord"

In the properties of that script step, you can choose to view the related records using another layout.

Therefore:

0. save a backup copy (always step#0 )

1. build a list layout, based on the table whose records you want listed (Contacts Table likely from your OP).

In the header, you'll likely want to put in the field Jobs::JobName or equivalent

In the body, put the fields pertinent to the contact...

2. go back to the jobs layout

3. make a script as Daniele mentioned, GTRR referencing the new list layout and viewing "only related records"

4. put a button on the jobs layout that runs said script

5. Enter browse mode

6. find the job of interest

7. click the button

Hows that?

• 4. Re: How to view portal data in list view?
                erob
                   Thanks guys, it's working. I must add that I have a join table between the jobs and contacts table. Also, I set the list view layout to pull data from the contacts table but it seems to be working fine now. I'm very grateful. Thanks!
                • 5. Re: How to view portal data in list view?
                  philmodjunk

GTRR has some poorly documented issues that can trip up the unwary. In your case things are pretty safe as long as you have at least one related record in your portal. For more on GTRR, see this thread:

The Complete Go To Related Record

• 6. Re: How to view portal data in list view?
                    erob
                       I must say I just realized that after setting the layout to pull data from the contacts table, I don't even need the script. Am I doing something wrong that will screw me somewhere down the line?
                    • 7. Re: How to view portal data in list view?
                      ninja

erob wrote:
                      I must say I just realized that after setting the layout to pull data from the contacts table, I don't even need the script. Am I doing something wrong that will screw me somewhere down the line?

Nope...but there are always more than one way of doing something.  Based solely on what you asked for, GTRR is a nice easy safe way to get there.  There are, of course, other ways...but which you would use would depend on what else you want to do.

For the list you described, and without the GTRR, you'd have to have a find function involved...GTRR seems to fit the bill better for what you've described.

GTRR can be dangerous, but not for simply listing the related records.  If you now go changing data using that same script, please heed the warnings that Phil linked to.  (and do step #0 repeatedly)