2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 26, 2013 10:22 AM by SamanthaTaffner

How to visualize a small family tree

SamanthaTaffner

Title

How to visualize a small family tree

Hello,

I'm new to FileMaker and have limited programing exprience.  I'm unsure if I'm addressing this problem completely wrong.  Please help. 

Is there any way to visualize a small family tree? 

Here is my problem:  I have a Patient with X disease.  I need to ask the patient about thier family with X disease.  Family includes spouse, Siblings, children, parents, aunts/Uncles, Cousins, and grandparents.  Then I need to make a small family tree highlighting family members with X disease. 

Here is my database structure:

Individual table (IndividualID, dateOfBirth, dateOfDeath, Disease)

Role table (roleCode, roleDescription)

From that I would  like a tree to be displayed. Is this possible in FileMaker? 

I hope this makes sense.  I had a hard time discribing it. 

Thanks for your help.

Samantha

• 1. Re: How to visualize a small family tree
          philmodjunk

How are you relating the Role table to the Individual table? It looks like you missing a few fields to use as matchfields.

The typical "tree" type geneology chart is not something that will be easy to produce from FileMaker due to the graphic nature of such a chart and due to the complex biological relationships that can arise when tracking human inheritance.

FileMaker can manage the necessary links, but the desired char will be tricky to do.

I think you might be able to get this to work with a pattern of filtered portals on a form view layout with many of the portals being empty for any given chart depending on the number children and number of spouses at each generational level.

• 2. Re: How to visualize a small family tree
            SamanthaTaffner

Thank you Phil.  

oops I forgot the link between my tables.  I was thinking of a relationship such as. 

Individual table (IndividualID, roleCode, dateOfBirth, dateOfDeath, Disease)

Role table (roleCode, roleDescription)

not sure if this will work.  

Portals sound like the best bet.  I'm ok with empty portals.  It seems like inbreding would be the hardest to accomplish.  I didn't think of that until now.  

To accomplish the graphical nature of this chart would it be better accomplished in python?  

Thank you for your help. 

Samantha