4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2008 12:26 PM by seaserpent

How to: portal appears with same info on every record

seaserpent

Title

How to: portal appears with same info on every record

I have a great database for orders that I built upon the Filemaker Business Productivity sample. I want to place a portal or text field that appears the same on every record. It will be called "bulletin board" as it will act as a sort of cork board where notes can be seen by everyone using the database, but will not be specific to the record being viewed. We want it to display the same information each time we view a different record, but be able to modify the contents. Example: the bulletin board field will have listings such as:

Order all materials by 10:00

Water guy coming at noon

Hot: Joe repairman will be here 4:00

I cannot figure how to set this up.

Any help appreciated. 

• 1. Re: How to: portal appears with same info on every record
          FrankB

Hi

I would create a new table with a field or fields for the data you would like to display in all your target records. In this table create a global key field with, say a 1 in it.

In your main table create a similar global key field again with a 1 in it.

Now go to manage database and relationships and make a relationship between the two key fields in the two tables.

Use this relationship for the display portal and you should then see the same records (all of them) within it.

Hope this helps

Frank

• 2. Re: How to: portal appears with same info on every record
            TSGal

seaserpent:

Thank you for your post.

Pull down the File menu and select "Manage -> Database".  Click the Fields tab and create a new text field - NOTES.   With NOTES selected, click on "Options".  In the dialog box, click on the "Storage" tab.  Check the option under Global Storage for "Use global storage (one value for all records) ".  If you read the description, it says, "A field that uses global storage contains only one value that is shared across all records.  A global field can also be used as s temporary storage location (for example, in scripts)."  Therefore, if you put this field on a layout, you can be in any record and enter information into this field.  Every record will display this information, and every user will see this information.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 3. Re: How to: portal appears with same info on every record
              FrankB

Hi,

Using a global to display the data is fine as long as the database isn't hosted on a server.  If it is the global field will always revert to the contents it contained when it was served. Therefore the data could not be edited on the fly and would need to be closed down for any change to be available to all users.

Hope this makes sense - this 'feature' is a continuing source of irritation to me! ;-)

Frank

• 4. Re: How to: portal appears with same info on every record
                seaserpent

Thank you FrankB and TsGal.

I first tried the TsGal solution which worked perfectly until I realized FrankB's comment about the server. Yes, we are on a server so the data didn't show to all users.

I set up as FrankB suggested and PRESTO! Perfect.

Thank you both. You guys are great!