How to: send emails to persons based on a checkboxed value list

Good morning!

I am trying to get this working:

In a file I have a table "A" with two fields:
      - Name
      - Email

There is a value list based on Table "A" "Name"

There is also a second table: "B"
      - Here is a field "person" with a checkbox list based on the value list "Name"
      - There is also a field: "mailto"
      In this field I need (I think) the email addresses that match the checked records in the value list (separated with ", ")

how to do this?

In plain words: I want to mail persons based on a checkboxed value list. How to get the email adresses in a field or variable?

Dick

• 1. Re: How to: send emails to persons based on a checkboxed value list
          philmodjunk

Your approach will work, but you can also use the values selected in the check box field to pull up a found set of records in table A. If you did that, there's a "multiple emails, one for each record in found set" option that you can also use.

Whith either approach, this relationship could be used:

Table B::Person = Table A::Name

This calculation would produce your list of email addresses with "," as the delimitter:

Substitute ( List ( Table A::Email ) ; ¶ ; ", " )

This script step would produce a found set in Table A of the speified names in Table B:

Go To Related Record [Show only related records; From table: Table A; Using layout: "Table a" (Table A)]

You may, however, want to completely rethink your interface for selecting email recipients. The above relationship is based on a person's name. Names are not unique--so this fails if you try to select John Smith and have two people named John Smith. People also change there names. Thus, you may want to figure out a different set up where you can use names to look up people, but to using a relationship based on a serial number field added to Table A.