3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2013 9:59 AM by philmodjunk

How view as table and see current record as form?

murray

Title

How view as table and see current record as form?

I just migrated a database from Bento to FMP13. How do I view it in table view AND, at the same time, see the currently selected record in form view? (I.e., like I could in Bento -- which was a primary strength of that now-discontinued product)

• 1. Re: How view as table and see current record as form?
          philmodjunk

This question has been asked a few times previously.

Open Layout Setup... for your layout and click the Views Tab. Enable the option for either the Header or the footer to be visible depending on whether you want your "form view" to be at the top (header) or bottom (footer) of your screen.

Then return to your layout, enter layout mode if you are not already in that mode and drag the border between the footer or header and the body to increase the size of your layout part. Use the field tool and/or Field Picker (FileMaker 13) to add the fields you want to see in the "form view" to this header or footer.

• 2. Re: How view as table and see current record as form?
            murray

I already have a layout (aka form) set up: that came automatically when I migrated the Bento database to FMP. So what do I do so I don't have to go through the whole process of setting up layout again -- which is what PhilModJunk's reply seems to suggest.

(Note: am I missing something, or in this forum is there no way to reply to a previous post by quoting it? I tried the quote icon at the top of the editing window, but that does nothing.)

• 3. Re: How view as table and see current record as form?
              philmodjunk

I don't have to go through the whole process of setting up layout again

You have two choices, you can modify your existing layout to support this view option or you can create a new one for this purpose, but you don't actually have to go through a lot of steps to do that. You can use Duplicate Layout to copy your exisiting layout or you can use New Layout, select the table for your layout in Show Records from and then select the option for a Blank layout (the option I choose 9 out of 10 times). You then need only set up either the header or footer with the fields you want to place in that "form view portion" of your layout.

PS. I quoted you by pasting it, then selecting the double quote tool while the cursor was still in the quoted paragraph. The text will indent when you click it, but you won't see the quote symbol until you post your comment.