3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2011 11:52 AM by philmodjunk

HTML text in a variable

RossanoIennarelli

Title

HTML text in a variable

Hi all,

I have a price db in fmp11, sometimes I send an email with he price of some goods to a customer.

The email text is calculated in a script and insert into a variable.

Now I want to create a table in the email with this column :

desc.         code         availability         price        confirm

where the customer put a X under the confirm column.

Is a way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: HTML text in a variable
          philmodjunk

I don't see any HTML text in your example and FileMaker's send Mail only sends out plain text, not HTML formatted emails.

A simple text based table such as you describe is possible, but details depend on the structure of your tables.

Will each row of data in this table come from a different record in a related table?

If so, a calculation field in that table can combine all these fields in a single row, separated by tab characters. Then your email's calculation in the Body of the email can use the List function to pull all of these records into the email as a plain text table with a return between each record's row of data.

• 2. Re: HTML text in a variable
            RossanoIennarelli

The HTML code is to draw the table, the information are in one or more related table.

I tried to draw the table with spaces but the result depends on the formatting of the client

• 3. Re: HTML text in a variable
              philmodjunk

The HTML code is to draw the table, the information are in one or more related table.

But that does not work with Send Mail in FileMaker as the email must be plain text. You'd need an Email Plug in that supports HTML formatting of your email.

I'd use tabs, rather than spaces to build this table in plain text.