2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2013 11:40 AM by RaymondSoto

Hyperlink to an external file

RaymondSoto

Title

Hyperlink to an external file

In my layout, I want to include a field that links to related Excel files that are stored elsewhere. For example, Record 1 would include a link to Record1.xlsx that would allow me to access/open that Excel file whereever it is stored. Each record, of course, would need to link to a different file.

How do I go about this?

• 1. Re: Hyperlink to an external file
          philmodjunk

It would seem simpler to just store that data in a table in Filemaker rather than excel, but I can imagine reasons for doing so.

The Open URL script step can open a file if you feed it the file path to the specified record.

You could also use insert file to insert the excel file with the "store a reference" option enabed to insert a reference to the file into a container field. Then double clicking the container field will open the file.

• 2. Re: Hyperlink to an external file
            RaymondSoto

"You could also use insert file to insert the excel file with the "store a reference" option enabed to insert a reference to the file into a container field. Then double clicking the container field will open the file."

Yes, that is exactly what I was trying to do!

yes Thank you so much!