3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2015 3:50 PM by philmodjunk

Hyperlinked Repeating Field

Dekade

Title

Hyperlinked Repeating Field

FM PRO ADV 10.3 - I am not an everyday user of FM thus my reason for not knowing exactly how I can achieve the following.

Back, a while ago, when I was using FM Pro 6 or 7 I had a field that, I if I remember correctly, was a repeating field. The field also had its own scroll bar. The field displayed/listed all of the 'records' per the database. You could click on any one of the records' name and be taken to that record.

I know fully well that I can duplicate this process via a portal with a 'go to' button. However, I like the concept of just the 'name' of the record being somehow hyperlinked so that when clicking on the name I go right to the record. I don't want the action of 'go to record' to be done via a button - I want to just click on the name, in the field list, to go to the record.

Could the forum please help me achieve this concept?

Thanks,

Dekade

• 1. Re: Hyperlinked Repeating Field
          philmodjunk

You would not use a repeating field for this. You would use a portal. And you can select the field in the portal while in layout mode and use button setup to turn it into your button so that clicking it does the needed "go to record" task.

• 2. Re: Hyperlinked Repeating Field
            Dekade

OHHH! That's right. Now I remember how to use the portal for my desired result. Just make the field itself the button with a script. Forgot.

Thanks,

Dekade

• 3. Re: Hyperlinked Repeating Field
              philmodjunk

Using a portal in place of a value list has long been an effective alternative to the standard drop down list or pop up menu. For one thing, you have a lot more control over the sort order and how you display the values from which the user clicks to make a selection. The main draw back as been that a portal also requires much more of your available layout space, but with the advent of popover buttons in FileMaker 13, that is no longer a problem as you can put such selection portals inside a popover.