2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2009 9:33 AM by beatle20359

Hyperlinking email addresses

beatle20359

Title

Hyperlinking email addresses

Hi,

I am trying to create a global telephone list for the company I work for. Previously each office has created their own list in either Word (shudder) or Excel but it would be nice to have all this information in one place hence moving it to a DB. So I bought FMPRO 10 server and currently use FMPRO 9 on the mac with it. Database programming is not really an area I have much experience in but I am trying to learn it.

The problem I have is as follows.

I wrote the phone list database to have name, lastname, job title, office, extension, direct line, mobile number and email address. I export the telephone list into an excel file and export another copy as an HTML table which I can paste into the Intranet that i created based on Apple's Wiki server in 10.5. Everything works with the exception of hyperlinks for the email.

The wiki server from Apple doesn't allow hyperlinking in tables unless you edit the HTML which is a long and dull process when you have 300+ staff. In Excel 2008 I can find no easy way to create hyperlinks in the exported column except copy an email address delete and paste it back which then creates the link. 

Is there an easy way to create the hyperlinks in filemaker or to get filemaker to create hyperlinks during the export of the data?

Thanks in advance for any help

• 1. Re: Hyperlinking email addresses
          TSGal

beatle20359:

Thank you for your post.

The HTML for hyperlinking an email address is:

<a href="mailto:{email address}">{emailaddress}</a>

For example, if you have a field "EMAIL" with the contents: help@xxx.com

The HTML would be:

<a href="mailto:help@xxx.com">help@xxx.com</a>

Therefore, you would need to create a calculation field that converts the EMAIL field to this new format.  Therefore, create a calculation field, "EMAILCalc", with the formula:

"<a href=" & "\"" & "mailto:" & EMAIL & "\"" & ">" & EMAIL & "</a>"

Instead of exporting the EMAIL field, use EMAILCalc field.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Hyperlinking email addresses
            beatle20359

Many thanks TS, i'll give that a go. 

On another note do any filemaker board readers have a recommendation for a FMP holiday planner.

All the best