1 2 3 Previous Next 43 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2012 2:14 PM by Epa

I am having difficulty creating a list of fields (similar to the time off tracking included in the...

EP

I am having difficulty creating a list of fields (similar to the time off tracking included in the Personnel file template include with FMP12).  Can anyone direct me in the correct procedures?  I created a portal field, but I'm unable to utilize the fields so I don't think I'm taking the right steps here. Thanks,

• 1. Re: I am having difficulty creating a list of fields (similar to the time off tracking included in the...
          philmodjunk

If you meant the Portal on the Time Off tab on the Personnel Details layout, then this appears to be a very straightforward use of the portal based on a one to many relationship in Manage | Databse | Relationships as is most commonly used for a portal. In other words, there are no fancy tricks here so if you can get the basics in place in your database, it should work for you.

Did you set up a relationship between your layout's table and the table for your portal? (The layout's table is identified by the "table occurrence name" found listed in Show Records From in layout setup. A Table Occurrence is what we call a specific "box" found in Manage | Database | Relationships.)

What relationship details did you select? What match fields did you use between the two tables?

WHen you use the portal tool to add a portal layout object (It's not a field) to your layout, the Portal Setup... dialog appears. What options did you select in this dialog? What problems, if any did you encounter when using this dialog?

As you close the portal setup, a new dialog box should appear where you can select fields from either the portal's table occurrence or a table occurrence that is related to the portal's table occurrence. Were you able to select fields in this dialog box?

• 2. Re: I am having difficulty creating a list of fields (similar to the time off tracking included in the...
            Epa

Did you set up a relationship between your layout's table and the table for your portal? (The layout's table is identified by the "table occurrence name" found listed in Show Records From in layout setup. A Table Occurrence is what we call a specific "box" found in Manage | Database | Relationships.)

*I created a relationship between "employee files" (my new table) and "Personnel Records" (inclided with the template).

What relationship details did you select? What match fields did you use between the two tables?

*I selected "File.Date" and "File.Name" from my "employee files" table.  I matched "PERSONNEL ID MATCH FIELD" with the  "File.Date" and "File.Name" from my "employee files" table.

WHen you use the portal tool to add a portal layout object (It's not a field) to your layout, the Portal Setup... dialog appears. What options did you select in this dialog? What problems, if any did you encounter when using this dialog?

*I selected sort portal records, show vertical scroll bar, and alternate background fill. 

As you close the portal setup, a new dialog box should appear where you can select fields from either the portal's table occurrence or a table occurrence that is related to the portal's table occurrence. Were you able to select fields in this dialog box?

*I'm not seeing this.

Thanks

• 3. Re: I am having difficulty creating a list of fields (similar to the time off tracking included in the...
              philmodjunk

I selected "File.Date" and "File.Name" from my "employee files" table.  I matched "PERSONNEL ID MATCH FIELD" with the  "File.Date" and "File.Name" from my "employee files" table.

This is the first obvious problem. PERSONNEL ID MATCH FIELD is an auto-entered serial number in the Personnel table. In your relationship, this should match to a number field in your new table, not a date or a name field. In order to link a record in one table to a record or group of records in another table the values in the two match fields must be the same. The employee name will never be the same as this serial number and the same is true for the date field.

• 4. Re: I am having difficulty creating a list of fields (similar to the time off tracking included in the...
                Epa

Got it.  I created a serial number field (number field) in my "employee files" table and created a relationship to the PERSONNEL ID MATCH FIELD, however I still can't input any data into my fields in the portal.  I guess I am not fully understanding the concept of a portal yet and will do more research.
                Thanks for your help. 

• 5. Re: I am having difficulty creating a list of fields (similar to the time off tracking included in the...
                  philmodjunk

Not quite.

The field should be a number field, but NOT a serial number field. This sets up a one to many relationship between Personnel and Employee Files. You'd have one record in Personnel for each employee but can have many records in Employee Files for each employee. You don't want an auto-entered serial number field for this field because you want this field to store whatever number is generated in the match field n Personnel--not a new and unique value in Employee Files.

• 6. Re: I am having difficulty creating a list of fields (similar to the time off tracking included in the...
                    Epa

Thanks, I changed it to a number field (not a serial number), but the fields still are not visible.  Upon looking into the time off portal, I noticed that there is the "filter portal records" checked and it contains a script.  I did not write a script for my portal.  Maybe this is the reason why my fields are not visible?

• 7. Re: I am having difficulty creating a list of fields (similar to the time off tracking included in the...
                      philmodjunk

That is not the reason. You should have had a dialog box for selecting field to put in the rows of your portal appear when you added the portal object to your layout and then clicked OK to dismiss Portal Setup...

Since you have the portal already present on your layout, you can use the field tool in the tool bar to drag and drop fields into the first row of your portal while you are in layout mode. Just be careful to select fields from the Employee Files table occurrence. (There's a drop down where you select the table occurrence and then you get a list of fields for that table occurrence in the dialog where you can click one to select it.)

Please note that you only add fields to the top portal row. Each row of your portal will display data from the same fields, but from different related records.

• 8. Re: I am having difficulty creating a list of fields (similar to the time off tracking included in the...
                        philmodjunk

Please also note that you won't see anything in the portal beyond, maybe, a blank top row until you actually create related records in your portal's table. The easiest way to manage that for a beginner is to go to Manage | database | Relationships, double click the relationship line between Personnel and Employee Files and then select "allow creation of records via this relationship" for the Employee Files side of the relationship.

• 9. Re: I am having difficulty creating a list of fields (similar to the time off tracking included in the...
                          Epa

I got it! Thanks!!!

The mising link was enabling "allow creation of records via this relationship"

• 10. Re: I am having difficulty creating a list of fields (similar to the time off tracking included in the...
                            Epa

Ok, I now have a much better understanding of what is happening here.  Is there any way to make the portal indpendent of "personnel records."  In other words, I want the same style of being able to input data into rows, but without having it match other fields.

• 11. Re: I am having difficulty creating a list of fields (similar to the time off tracking included in the...
                              philmodjunk

You will find that when you created the Employee Files table, FileMaker created a layout of the same name that refers directly to that table. You can also create new layouts that also refer to this table. You can use such a layout to setup either a list or table view of your records in this table and you can then use new/record to create new records in this table without them also being linked to a record in Personnel.

But I'm not sure why you would want to do that.

• 12. Re: I am having difficulty creating a list of fields (similar to the time off tracking included in the...
                                Epa

What I am trying to achive is a table with alternating rows that allows an HR clerk to input the following on each line/row:  Date that a file was received, date the file expires, the type of file (for example, a independent contractor agreement), and finally the file container (for example, the PDF version of the signed independent contractor agreement).  Am I way off base with my approach?

Thank you,

• 13. Re: I am having difficulty creating a list of fields (similar to the time off tracking included in the...
                                  philmodjunk

Not at all. This can be done via the portal, a list view layout or a table view.

The difference is in whether or not this info should or should not be linked to a personnel record. If it should be linked to a personnel record, use the portal as this makes linking the two recors automatic. If not, use a list view layout (I think that's a better option than table view).

Note that if you are using FileMaker 12, interactive container fields can't be placed in a portal--but then you don't need that just to add new records and insert the PDF, you can use a different layout if you want to examine the PDF from inside the container field.

• 14. Re: I am having difficulty creating a list of fields (similar to the time off tracking included in the...
                                    Epa

I'm actually trying to make this work in a table view layout.  Basically I created another tab next to the "time off" tab, called "employee files."  This is where I imagined all scanned files would reside.  I guess I need to link it to the personnel record,but I'm a bit confused because when I do this, I keep getting 2 fields that match each other.  For example, I want to be able to input brand new data in each row without it being copied to the personnel record fields. I think a workaround may be to just create a field in the personnel record table and dont add it to my layout?

1 2 3 Previous Next