3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2014 9:43 AM by philmodjunk

I can't open my FM Solution!

DranLang

Title

I can't open my FM Solution!

Hi good morning everyone!  I got a situation here where my FM Pro 13 Advance solution won't continue to open with an error "FileMaker Pro Advanced (Not Responding)".  I was working on it yesterday before I left and now it won't continue to open.  What can I do to open my FM Solution and continue to work on it?

Thank you in advance!

• 1. Re: I can't open my FM Solution!
          philmodjunk

Are you double clicking the icon for the file or the icon for the application?

If double clicking the icon for the file, try the icon for the application to see if the issue is with your file or the application.

If it's the application, you have bigger problem. You may need to reinstall, but first try to rule out other causes such as recently installed or updated software and such.

If it's the file, try launching FIleMaker, enabling the script debugger and then opening the file. If a script pops up in the debugger, cancel it and see if that lets you get the file open. If that does not work, try running a recover on the file and see what you get from that.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

While Recover almost always detects and fully corrects any problems with your file...

1. The recovered copy may behave differently even if recover reports "no problems found".
          3. Recover does not detect all problems
          5. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
          7. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.

And here's a knowledgebase article that you may find useful: What to do when your file is corrupt (KB5421).

• 2. Re: I can't open my FM Solution!
            DranLang

Thanks Phil, got it to open now and I'll just copy those important changes to my backup copy now.  Thanks again!

• 3. Re: I can't open my FM Solution!
              philmodjunk

If you are copying structural parts of a damaged file to a backup, you risk copying the damage along with the copied "part".

I recommend testing the copy thus produced with a recover. (and it's much more work but safer to recreate the parts.)