1 2 3 Previous Next 40 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2015 11:46 AM by LucHuyse

I destination A, then 'Address A, if destination B... etc

LucHuyse

Title

I destination A, then 'Address A, if destination B... etc

A customer has 3 possible addresses for delivery, each with name, street, city...

If I want to deliver to address 1, then the address must be filled in (in the delivery note), the same for address 2 etc.

What is the best way to do this?

Thanks for replying,

• 1. Re: I destination A, then 'Address A, if destination B... etc
          LucHuyse

maybe it's not clear enough. The 3 addresses are part of the file.

Address 1

Address 2

Address 3

Now I have to send a parcel. On the delivery note I need an address, it might be Address 1, or  2 or 3. I have to make the choice (if...) and on the delivery note the correct address must be filled in (then...)

I hope this is clear now.

• 2. Re: I destination A, then 'Address A, if destination B... etc
            SteveMartino

It's not clear.  If I think I understand, a customer can have 3 addresses.  You need to pick one of the addresses for the delivery note.

Simplest:  Create a drop down list with the values from address 1, 2, 3.....then pick one and have a script trigger insert the correct information in the delivery note field.

Probably better:  Create a related table of address, then you can have more or less then 3 addresses.  Then follow the dropdown list idea.

• 3. Re: I destination A, then 'Address A, if destination B... etc
              philmodjunk

Here's a thread on how to use a relationship to a table, such as a table of addresses linked to a table of customers to "populate" a form such as an order or shipping form: Auto Fill

• 4. Re: I destination A, then 'Address A, if destination B... etc
                LucHuyse

Hi Steve, I know the description of my problem wasn't very clear, but what you suggest is correct. 

Phil, I'll read the post and see which solution is the best for me. I try to explain my problem again: Let's say that I am selling furniture. The customer has a head office (I have to send the invoice to the head office) but he also has shops in 3 or 4 different places. When he order furniture, he asks to send the goods to shop 1, or 2 or 3 etc. So the invoice goes to the head office but on the delivery note i must have the address of the destination (shop 1, 2 , 3 ...)

Of coarse an other customer might have also several delivery addresses.

I hope this is better now and please, if you have a 'life' example, it's very very welcome.

• 5. Re: I destination A, then 'Address A, if destination B... etc
                  philmodjunk

See the examples in the link I previously provided. They should be a very good "match" for what you want to do. I'd use the looked up value option described in that thread so that you keep a record of the precise address used to deliver the order. Should an address for a given shop be changed in the future, you don't want your record to update and now show the product as having been delivered to the new address when you actually shipped it to the old address....

• 6. Re: I destination A, then 'Address A, if destination B... etc
                    LucHuyse

I don't see a FM 'sample' or do you mean the script? My problem: I'm not native English and some things I don't understand very well. (A sample is worth more than 1000 words, no?)

Thank you Phil

• 7. Re: I destination A, then 'Address A, if destination B... etc
                      philmodjunk

I included a link to a different thread where two methods for getting data from a related table to appear on your layout are described. Both use a relationship. One copies over the data and the other simply links to it. Both work and both are the best option to use for different situations. It is left up to the reader to decide which option is best for their current project.

Auto Fill

• 8. Re: I destination A, then 'Address A, if destination B... etc
                        LucHuyse

OK Phil, Let's say I have 3 shops where I have to supply goods. All have an address and a manager.

I make a pop up with the 3 shops and when I need to supply goods to shop 3 I can just click on that one and I have address etc.

But there is always the possibility that the goods must be delivered direct to an address of a customer (lets say a one off). I need a blank field that can be filled in with an occasional customer. Is this possible?

• 9. Re: I destination A, then 'Address A, if destination B... etc
                          LucHuyse

I am sorry Phil, your post (Auto Fill) doesn't help me...

As I mentioned before, I have a contact list with an address for the main office and 3 addresses for the shops that company has. In my contact list I have 4 times an address (my screenprint is only showing 2 addresses 'Facturatie' and 'Toonzaal'). You see also 'Levering', this means 'Delivery' and there I should be able to choose between address of Facturatie (head office) and Toonzaal (showroom).

But maybe this (Levering) is the wrong place, maybe this should be on the part 'Facturen' (= invoice) because it has to be linked to that order/delivery. Maybe my question is more clear now, so I hope...

• 10. Re: I destination A, then 'Address A, if destination B... etc
                            philmodjunk

Each address should be in its own record that is then related by customerID to the customer table.

In your orders table (which should also be linked by customer ID to the customer table), you would have look up fields for the address. The look up would use a different relationship to addresses with two match fields, the customer ID and the Shop (or other destination name or ID) to match to one specific address. This requires a second table occurrence of addresses that matches directly to Orders by these two fields. The destination field in Orders can be set up with a conditional value list of just the addresses for this customer. Because you have address fields set to lookup (copy) the address info, you will also have the ability to enter an address directly into these fields in cases where the address is not already in your addresses table. You can even add a button with a script that enables you to then add that new address to a customer's set of address records if you need to in order to avoid entering the date again or on a different layout.

The look up process is described in the link I've already provided. The new part here is a more complex relationship and the use of an added Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences? of addresses used for that look up and I've added mention of a conditional value list to complete my description of a possible solution.

For working examples of conditional value lists, see: "Adventures in FileMaking #1- Conditional Value Lists". There are 10 different examples in this free demo file, each with detailed explanations of how they are set up and how they work. The one named "basic conditional value list" is probably all that you need here.

Other methods that use a related table of addresses could also be used such as putting a portal of a customer's addresses inside a popover where you can click to select one of the addresses listed in the portal. This uses the same set of relationships as described above.

• 11. Re: I destination A, then 'Address A, if destination B... etc
                              LucHuyse

Thank you for your time and detailed description. You say: each address should be in its own record. So the file with the customerID has only the head office address and If I have for example 4 addresses of the several shops, they are each in a separate record but linked to the first one, the customerID.

I will read 'Basic Conditional Value List' and hope I come to a good solution. Anyway, I'll leave it for a day or two and then I'll come back here, hopefully with a smile.

Thank you Phil for your great help!

Luc

• 12. Re: I destination A, then 'Address A, if destination B... etc
                                LucHuyse

This is what it is now, which is no good because I don't have a record per address:

• 13. Re: I destination A, then 'Address A, if destination B... etc
                                  philmodjunk

Also, keep in mind that we don't read your language. If you need to post a screen shot of relationships in the future (no need right now) you might consider using the "text box" feature in Manage|Database|Relationships to provide a translation of the table occurrence and match field names right in the screen shot as a way to help us English speakers better understand your design.

(I often document my relationships by placing a text box behind a group of occurrences and then entering text in the upper left corner of the text box with info to help explain any unusual features in the design so that my coworkers have a better chance at understanding my design.

• 14. Re: I destination A, then 'Address A, if destination B... etc
                                    LucHuyse

Thank you Phil. I possibly translate all text for a start. Maybe that will help. The time here is 18:39. Are we on the same time line?

1 2 3 Previous Next