11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2010 8:11 AM by FentonJones

I don't want to lose my JOB but where did my music go?

LisaJohnson

Title

I don't want to lose my JOB but where did my music go?

I was at my bosses house. I made containers and clicked on QUicktime ,selected the MP3 via iTunes.

I get home tonight, after saving and making sure to open it agin to make sure it works and NOT ONE SONG PLAYED!

Can someone tell me what happened?

In fact all the wrtier and percentages are gone too.

Is FMP putting the song there or a link to somewhere on the HD?

Thanks. I have a deadline and something like this could cause some ripples.

Thanks

• 1. Re: I don't want to lose my JOB but where did my music go?
          LisaJohnson

Also, at home I am working on Snow 10.6.3, at the office, he has Leopard 10.5.8, is this the problem?

• 2. Re: I don't want to lose my JOB but where did my music go?
            RickWhitelaw

Are you going home with the same computer you use at work (or at your boss's home) or are you simply bringing the file home on another medium? If Filemaker is storing a REFERENCE to the music file, then it must be able to access the file. If you're actually storing the file itself in your solution and it's not showing up, then you have a problem I can't explain.

RW

• 3. Re: I don't want to lose my JOB but where did my music go?
              FentonJones

When you Insert Quicktime it is always a "referenced" file, never an "embedded" file; there is no option to choose otherwise. It actually says that it in the Help somewhere, but not anywhere I can easily find; NOT on the page "Insert Quicktime Movie" nor in the Reference for the Insert Quicktime script step either; pretty abysmal documenation on that important fact, IMHO. 

So, you have two choices. Put the file somewhere where you'll always have access to it, a shared file server, which any location can mount. Or embed the file using Insert File. You can then Export Field Contents, with the [x] Open option, and whatever player the person has on their computer will open it (you still have to click to "play" it, at least on mine, but that's no big deal).

The downside of embedding the file is that each is fairly large, and the file size will grow accordingly. But if absolute portability is required, that might be the way to go. 

Another option for remote access for movie and sound files would be internet access, ie., put in on a website, then view/play it via a FileMaker Web Viewer. 

• 4. Re: I don't want to lose my JOB but where did my music go?
                LisaJohnson

You can then Export Field Contents, with the [x] Open option, and whatever player the person has on their computer will open it (you still have to click to "play" it, at least on mine, but that's no big deal).

Hi I don't understand what this means? When you say, insert file is it the same as selecting the field container, then choosing INSERT FILE instead of quicktime and then it will play?  And if you could elaborate a bit that would be great.

If I store the files on an Apple .Mac site I think I can use spaces if I use a windows server it will insert % whenever there is a space, so are you saying that I can upload the files to a server, then insert quicktime and it will always point to that file?

Also, if there is a music file in the container, or reference, how do I go about doing it again via server, i.e., remove the reference and insert either FILE or new refference point.

I am working on one computer and taking it home but the music now, are on two flash drives that I have connected so I should be able to take with me and have it work, however, down the road, in a week or so, I will need to send out these filemaker files and let others open them to play the songs.  How does one go about making FM P 11 Advanced work for someone that does not have it. I was told by Filemaker this was possible and there will be 20 songs for now, but maybe the FTP or insert FILE will work, I just need to make sure that the client can open the filemaker (if they do not have, please, how is this done) and what would you do as when you store a song on a server, you always have to remove the FTP_public, etc, just to get to the right song, but if it will work, its allright with me.

Thanks Everyone!!!

• 5. Re: I don't want to lose my JOB but where did my music go?
                  TSGal

Fenton Jones:

Thank you for your post.

I have forwarded your information about "Insert Quicktime" to the manager of our Product Documentation so that this can be better documented.

TSGal
                  FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: I don't want to lose my JOB but where did my music go?
                    FentonJones

First, TSGal, thanks for taking notice. I was a bit critical, but it seemed a real problem. There are so many questions about using FileMaker container fields, in the modern world.

Lisa, I wrote a longer reply, but in the process of trying out all the (many) options, Safari crashed and lost my post.

So, this is the conclusion, for the most universal use. Put the MP3's on a web site. Use a Web Viewer in FileMaker; point it to the file. It plays within the web viewer.

The path looks much like any other web path URL. Example (my shortest MP3 music file, I have no idea where I got it, but no one should really care).

http://fentonjones.com/New/51_Abilene_10.mp3

Notice I put underscores instead of spaces. Because then you could build a simple web page, with links to these files. Then non-FileMaker people could also see and play the files (though uploading the files and updating the page requires some maintenence). How to do that, and how they'd even know to go there is another question.

• 7. Re: I don't want to lose my JOB but where did my music go?
                      TSGal

Fenton Jones:

Don't worry about being "a bit critical".  This (Insert Quicktime) is obviously not documented in an intuitive place, so I want to make sure it does get reported to the appropriate departments.

TSGal
                      FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: I don't want to lose my JOB but where did my music go?
                        LisaJohnson

Fenton: Would you prefer the web page over the putting the file on a server then pointing the container there?

Also, how is it done that people that do NOT have FM Pro are able to use FMPro or rather see your file?

I was told there was a way that this can be done,

Did we buy the wrong product? I thought Now Up To Date was over? Thinking of the best way to make this easy as my collegue/boss is not hugely computer literate.

• 9. Re: I don't want to lose my JOB but where did my music go?
                          LisaJohnson

And thank you FM for making this easy to document.

This should be a feature as why can you insert an image but not a song? There are a lot of music publishers that would love to have a feature so they could insert a song and then just link it to a website. Probllem is, if 100 people go to it, it's going to play very slow! So there should be an option to have it local, downloadable, as well as on-line!

Thanks

TS Gal

• 10. Re: I don't want to lose my JOB but where did my music go?
                            LisaJohnson

PS. Using INSET FILE does NOT work, just FYI, nothing happens.

• 11. Re: I don't want to lose my JOB but where did my music go?
                              FentonJones

The problem is that there are, once you consider the options, several ways to link external documents to FileMaker. The two main "branches" would be Container fields and Web Viewer.

Web Viewer is html-based, the documents are never "embedded", but are referenced, like any web page does (in most cases here we'd just be showing a direct link to the one file, not an entire web page, though that would also be possible). Advantages are that no one needs OS access to the files. Web Viewers use web technology to show or play (in the case of music, movies) the files. 

The other advantage is that you don't even need FileMaker, because a web viewer is just a small web browser. If you copy/pasted the link I posted earlier into the location bar of a web browser, on either platform, it would show (and in my case, play) the music file. You could build a regular web page(s) with links to the files, like any other web page; to use for non-FileMaker access. I don't see why you are still asking me about that. You use the web every day, so you know it works. It would be up to you to build and maintain the site.

Disadvantages would be that you would need a web site, with a fair amount of disk space available, depending on size and number of your files. Another is that it is more awkward for you to load/unload files from the site. That's what FTP is for. It can be done from FileMaker, using AppleScript on Macs, or a plug-in on Windows (ScriptMaster, FTPeek, MooPlug, likely others).

Another disadvantage is that it is public, more or less, unless you're a whiz at web security. Which I'm not, but many are.

There is another option, not yet mentioned, which is Instant Web Publishing. That is going to require FileMaker Server Advanced, or a web hosting service that supports FileMaker.

Then you have FileMaker Container fields. There are two main logic branches there. Embed files entirely or [x] As reference only. I'm not going into all that, as it has been covered here and elsewhere.

As reference requires you to mount whatever file server machine's volume onto your local machine. While you could still access the files without FileMaker, I have to wonder how the heck they'd know what file unless they were looking from FileMaker.

Then there is the SuperContainer plug-in/server (Java based), which is like a combo of web & container field. I don't know how it does music, but likely does. It relieves you of some of the hassle of all of the above. But it is a FileMaker thing. The files would be difficult to access directly otherwise.

You may wonder, why so darn many options? The simple reason is that none of them is perfect, none fits every situation, and none is "totally easy" to implement and use, especially with the requirements you stated; especially non-FileMaker access.

BTW: Insert File works. If it is [x] As reference only, then double-clicking would open the file. If it is "embedded," then you have to Export Field Contents, which can then open the file. The location can be the local temporary folder (to keep the file hidden, more or less).