2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2013 4:59 AM by MikeDrennan

I guess I don't understand "Perform Script on Server"

MikeDrennan

Title

I guess I don't understand "Perform Script on Server"

I was hoping that I would finally have a way to execute an AppleScript on my Mac running FileMaker Pro from a layout in Filemaker Go.  No such luck.  What exactly is the purpose?

• 1. Re: I guess I don't understand "Perform Script on Server"
          philmodjunk

Say you have a global field in a database hosted over a network. If you edit the field from a client machine, no one else will see the change and the field will revert to its original value when you close the client. If you use Perform Script On Server to modify the value of this global field, this change will be retained and other clients will see the new value in this field the next time that they open the file.

That's just one idea that came to my mind when I spotted it and looked it up in help. I could also use it to save a PDF of a report and email it to someone using WebDirect to access the DB.

And I'd think that you could set up a script with Perform AppleScript and use Perform Script On Server to perform that sub script which then performs the AppleScript...

• 2. Re: I guess I don't understand "Perform Script on Server"
            MikeDrennan

Thanks Phil.  Any chance you could try to put together an example for an AppleScript execution?  I have this far been unsuccessful.  I just wish this were an easier goal to accomplish.  I use Indigo server as a home automation controller, and one of my favorite things about it is that you can execute applescripts remotely from the iOS client.  What I don't like about it is that the GUI designer is much more cumbersome than Filemaker.  I would like to be able to utilize the flexibility of layout design (esp now with sliders and popups) to create AppleScript controllers for my host machine.