AnsweredAssumed Answered

I Know its super basic, but I just can't get it

Question asked by rafaelsanchez on Dec 19, 2013
Latest reply on Jan 25, 2016 by MacDevGuy

Title

I Know its super basic, but I just can't get it

Hello all,

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH IN ADVANCE, I'm super frustrated cause I'm learning this on my own from a book, but it's so one-sided. I feel like there is probably a very simple solution but since I just don't know any better this stupid problem has taken me days and I am still unsuccessful. uggghhhhh!!!!!!!

(lol, at this rate its gonna take me a year to complete a simple database)

Anyway. In my database I have a table called "time logging" which is where people log their times, those times are to be child records to "work orders" table. I want to be able to see those logged times from the work order layout.

I conceptually understand the parent-child and one-to-many, many-to-many, one-to-one concepts.

I have created a serialized, unmodifiable primary key in "work order" table and have linked it to the foreign key in "time logging" table.

BUT NOW WHAT???

When I create a new record in in "time logging", how does it know to which specific work order it belongs to.

I would like to give the user an option to choose what work order they're logging in time for. Also, work order numbers mean nothing to the user on their own, so they also need to choose the company that that work order belongs to. 

Screen_Shot_Relationships.png

Outcomes