1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 13, 2010 10:05 AM by philmodjunk

I need 1 serial number made up of 4 fields - is this possible?

FlorenceGiles

Title

I need 1 serial number made up of 4 fields - is this possible?

I need to have one number for a small museum collection that is made up of four fields. I can not make this work.

The First field would always be the same - SA; the second filed would be the four digit year that the item was acquired - 2002; the third field would be a four digit Serial number - .0001; the fourth field would be a "sub field that would be three digits - .001

When put together, the number would be something like this: SA.2002.0034.002. The third field would represent the Deed of Gift number and the fourth field would be the item number for that donor gift. 

Can anyone tell me how to do this? Many thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: I need 1 serial number made up of 4 fields - is this possible?
          philmodjunk

Where exactly are you encountering trouble with this? (I can think of several challenges)

You can store each portion of the serial number in separate fields and then define a calculation field that combines them or you can even use merge text on a layout to display the separate fields in a continuous string that looks like they are in individual fields. If you set up the calculation field I'm about to put up, just don't use it as the primary key to link to other records--use a serial number field instead and keep this field for report, display and search purposes.

"SA." & YearField & "." & DeadOfGiftField & "." & ItemNumberField

This calculation field would be set to return text.

You can also define a field that auto-enters an "SA" and use it in place of "SA" if there's any chance you might need to use different letters in the future.