5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2012 1:19 PM by MoOsman

I need a function to do this simple task

MoOsman

Title

I need a function to do this simple task

Greetings,

I am currently working on a FileMaker that gets its data from Excel. One of the columns in Excel has results as "True," or "False." I want to import the column to a field in FileMaker where if it's labeled as "True" to select the radio-buttons "Complex" and if it's "False" to select the radio-button "Sole"

Got it? Please help

Illustration:

In Excel    ->     In FileMaker

1. True              __ Sole   Complex

2. True              __ Sole    Complex

3. False             X_ Sole  __ Complex

4. True              __ Sole    Complex

• 1. Re: I need a function to do this simple task

Add an initial calculation to the field using the button as shown below. This will only be performed once, when the record is created/saved. Use this field instead of the one you import from Excel, you can ignore this field.

The field will have a calc something like this:

Case (

thefield = "True" ; Complex;

thefield = False ; "Sole" ;

""

)

This new field will then show the value you wish. You can place the two fields side by side to verify this.

• 2. Re: I need a function to do this simple task
            philmodjunk

If you import this data into a field in FileMaker, do you see "True" or a number such as 1 for true appear in the field?

Once you know that, you can set up an extra field for this column, I'll call it Excelvalue and map the excel column to this field during import. Then you can set up this auto enter calculation on a text field for your radiobuttons:

If data imports as the words "True" or "False":

If ( ExcelValue = "True" ; "Complex" ; "Sole")

If the data imports as 0 or empty for False, any other value = True

If ( Excelvalue ; "Complex" ; "Sole" )

Then enable auto-enter options during import.

If you can't enable auto-enter options (this enables all such options on all fields so cannot always be used), you can do this same type of fix via Replace Field Contents by using this in the calculation option just after you import the data.

• 3. Re: I need a function to do this simple task
              MoOsman

Thank you both for your suggestions. FileMaker does not show any result (true, false, 0, or 1). The field I have it maped to is a radion-button fiels with only "Sole" or "Complex" and the clickable radion buttons. When I do the inpurts it's just blank. I think the "IF" forumla is what everyone is suggestiong, but I dont know exactly how to generate one for this type of need.

• 4. Re: I need a function to do this simple task
                philmodjunk

Remove the value list formatting as it will hide the actual values imported if they do not match a value in the value list. This is just for inspection purposes.

• 5. Re: I need a function to do this simple task
                  MoOsman

It worked. Thanks a bunch :-)