11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 13, 2014 6:20 PM by actlevel42

I want to print a blank page after every two records print...

actlevel42

Title

I want to print a blank page after every two records print...

I need to print a blank page for every two records which print on the first page. I.E. print two records on one page, then a blank page, then print the next two records on a page, then a blank page, etc.

The reason why is that i am printing a book which prints back-to-back pages and only want a single side of each page printed with the two records. The pages are intended to be cut out, folded and used as flash cards.

Thoughts?

• 1. Re: I want to print a blank page after every two records print...
          philmodjunk

I can't quite picture why you would need this if you are using single sided printing, but you might use a script that prints just two records, changes layouts to a blank layout, prints one page, then returns to the original layout and prints the next two records. This will take a bit of creativity to do with a script manipulating found sets to get a found set of just the next two records to be printed, but it would work.

• 2. Re: I want to print a blank page after every two records print...
            davidanders

Wouldn't be faster to just manually physically insert a blank page between the report pages?

OR print to PDF and insert blank pages into the PDF?

• 3. Re: I want to print a blank page after every two records print...
              actlevel42

Thank you for this, I will think about that but it might be out of my expertise-level.

From my initial question, "The reason why is that i am printing a book which prints back-to-back pages and only want a single side of each page printed with the two records. The pages are intended to be cut out, folded and used as flash cards."

What I am trying to explain is that the document prints on one side from FM Pro but then we send it to the book printer who puts the pages back-to-back (double-sided printing) or into odd and even pages (facing and I'm not sure what the other page is called, the facing pages are the odd pages). These pages will be embedded into a perfect-bound soft-cover book.

I thought maybe there was a setting to specify the number of records per odd page and then a different layout per even page? The even page will just need a "This page intentionally left blank" message and a header and footer would be nice too. The even pages don't need records printed, just the message and header and footer.

Thank you for your suggestion of using a script. I will have to think about it. Maybe if it proves too difficult I will have to rethink the design.

It's hard to visualize but i need to produce a flashcard with a word field and a definition field. Putting them both on one side of a page is what I have thought of so far and then they can be cut up and folded. I took four pictures of the process but can only upload one, it seems.

Anyway. Thank you very much for your response. I will think about it.

Thank you!

• 4. Re: I want to print a blank page after every two records print...
                actlevel42

Oh, your suggestion of "OR print to PDF and insert blank pages into the PDF?" might work.

I have FM Pro number the pages but maybe the blank pages not numbered might not be that bad.

I use a pdf tool like docudesk's or nitropdf to produce the pdf. I will have to investigate if they let me insert a blank page every-other page?

That's another good idea.

• 5. Re: I want to print a blank page after every two records print...
                  actlevel42

As far as inserting pages, yes, it is a pdf and there are upwards of 600-1000 pages.

Here is a picture of the page that prints out with two flashcards per page, which are then cut and folded.

• 6. Re: I want to print a blank page after every two records print...
                    philmodjunk

The exact details of what I am describing depend on whether you are printing all the records in your table or just a found set of the records you are finding. But it shouldn't be too difficult to do with a bit of scripting. If you are using FileMaker 13, there's a new summary field that can simplify that process so knowing what version you are using would also help in specifying the details needed to set up such a scripted process.

• 7. Re: I want to print a blank page after every two records print...
                      actlevel42

So, I'm embarrassed to say that i'm using version FileMaker Pro 7.0v3. Maybe time for an upgrade? I have trouble sorting through all the options of FileMaker's offerings ("pro", "advanced", "go" and "server" came along after I started using the program and i never seemed to migrate into them). I use the program as a single user and I use it to publish so I think "advanced" is what i would go with?

I will need to print a found set of files from my table of between 250 and 1000 (total table has 3000-ish files).

Here is the last of my 4 photos with the two records on a single 8.5x11" page

• 8. Re: I want to print a blank page after every two records print...
                        philmodjunk

Am I correct that the blank pages simply are to serve as a "placeholder" for the blank back side of the pages when you send this out to the printer? I'm surprised that you can't just tell the printer to print/bind your stock single sided and thus not need the blank pages.

If you want to upgrade for single user user, you don't need server, but FileMaker Advanced would be the better value product to get. The developer tools that come with it can be both major time savers in figuring out what a given database isn't working as expected and also a great way to gain a better understanding of how to better design a database.

But the following general technique should work in FileMaker 7 as far as I know:

I will assume that your table has a primary key field. A field that uniquely identifies each record with an auto-entered serial number. If you don't have one, you should add such a field and use Replace Field Contents to assign serial numbers to this field for your existing records.

Open the page for defining relationships. IN current versions, this is Manage | Database | Relationships. It may be a different menu option in yours. You should see a "table occurrence" box for each table in your database. Select the one that contains your records and duplicate it by clicking the duplicate button. It probably has two green plus signs on it. Define a text field, SelectedItems in this table so that you can set up this relationship:

YourTable 2::SelectedItems = YourTable::PrimaryKeyField

Create a new layout for finding the records you want to print and base it on YourTable 2. (Use your names in place of mine for fields and tables.)

Your script will then work like this. (Parts of this can be done by hand or by script)

Go to the new layout and perform a find to find the records you want to print. Sort them as needed. If found set is an odd number, add an extra blank record that will sort to the end of the set.

Go To Record/Request/Page [First]
                             Loop
                                SetField [YourTable 2::SelectedItems ; YourTable 2::primaryKeyField ]
                                Go to Record/Request/Page [next]
                                Set Field [YourTable 2::SelectedITems ; YourTable 2::SelectedItems & ¶ & YourTable 2::primaryKeyField ]
                                Go To Related Record [Show only related records; From table: YourTable; Using layout: "YourPrintLayoutHere" (YourTable) ]
                                Print (use records being browsed option)
                                Go to Layout ["Blank page Layout" (anytable)]
                                Print (use current record)
                                Go to Layout [Original layout]
                                Go to Record/Request/Page [Next ; Exit after last]
                             End Loop

• 9. Re: I want to print a blank page after every two records print...
                          actlevel42

Very Cool!

Ok, I will work on this! Thank you so much for your help! I might get back with further questions but this will take me a long way.

So the loop prints one from each layout and moves to the next record at the end until all have been cycled through. That part seems understandable to me. But why is a second table necessary? The second table pulls a record according to the primary key field number. So the printing happens through the second table. Does the second table become a subset, so to speak, of the original table? A subset of just the records to be printed? And where does the script draw two records and then print the blank page? Is it that the two records are on a single layout and therefore those two get printed and then the blank page? This is a little over my head, but I think I can get it and do this with a little time and practice.

Thank you so much for your time and expertise!

• 10. Re: I want to print a blank page after every two records print...
                            philmodjunk

So the loop prints one from each layout...

That would be one page from each layout. It prints two records each time around.

But why is a second table necessary?

There is no second table. There's a second Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?. There are other approaches that use two windows instead of two table occurrences, but in the example I chose to share, you need to different found sets of records from the same data source table--your table of flash card data. By setting up two layouts--each based on a different table occurrence for the same data source table, we can have a found set of all the records you want to print on one layout where the script loops through two records at a time in order to select two records at a time for printing, and on the other layout we have a found set of just two records for the purpose of printing them just two records at a time.

where does the script draw two records and then print the blank page?

The steps in blue "draw two records" and the steps in red print the blank page.

Go To Record/Request/Page [First]
                                 Loop
                                    SetField [YourTable 2::SelectedItems ; YourTable 2::primaryKeyField ]
                                    Go to Record/Request/Page [next]
                                    Set Field [YourTable 2::SelectedITems ; YourTable 2::SelectedItems & ¶ & YourTable 2::primaryKeyField ]
                                    Go To Related Record [Show only related records; From table: YourTable; Using layout: "YourPrintLayoutHere" (YourTable) ]

Print (use records being browsed option)
                                    Go to Layout ["Blank page Layout" (anytable)]
                                    Print (use current record)

Go to Layout [Original layout]
                                    Go to Record/Request/Page [Next ; Exit after last]
                                 End Loop

Please keep in mind that this script will not work unless you also set up the relationships and layouts as I have described. (Though you can use your own choices for names.)

• 11. Re: I want to print a blank page after every two records print...
                              actlevel42

Very, very cool!

Thank you!