6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2015 9:42 PM by MichaelVoccola

I want to reduce pictures size in a container field

jebber6685

Title

I want to reduce pictures size in a container field

I have a container field in my record where I will cut and past various product pictures from various sources like websites, catalogs, and web advertisements.

Is there a script formula or some type of process where I can reduce the size of all the pictures in a file? I want to do what you can do in Power Point when you can reduce the size of all pictures in the file to reduce file size.

My reason for doing this is that some pictures load really quick when I go into that record whereby other pictures take all day to load when I enter that record.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated

• 1. Re: I want to reduce pictures size in a container field
          philmodjunk

Filemaker can't compress or downsample (reduce the image resolution) images. You'd need to use another program to do that and then insert the newly edited image.

• 2. Re: I want to reduce pictures size in a container field
            JoshO.

You might need consider a plugin like SuperContainer.  Or insert the pictures only as a reference and store them in folder is a specific location.

• 3. Re: I want to reduce pictures size in a container field
              jebber6685

Thank you very much for letting me know!

• 4. Re: I want to reduce pictures size in a container field
                mcpdob

Would someone please explain in detail this solution:

Or insert the pictures only as a reference and store them in folder is a specific location.

I heard about this before thaks.

How do you do via script? And how get these transfered later to the PC if not part of the DB?

Also will that really reduce the PDF file size or only the FM GO Database size?

Is there a way in FM Go to create slim PDF for email attachment while keeping the high res pictures abd a decent good looking image?

Hope someone can answere these please?

• 5. Re: I want to reduce pictures size in a container field
                  JimMac

When inserting the picture, the dialog box to locate the file has a "check box" "store reference only" .... check it.

In FMP 12 the picture will be loaded when needed, from the file reference path, done when you inserted it.

However loading from a reference is a bit slower than inserting or embeddeding directly in the container.

The real speed is determined by picture type  [ jpg, gif, tif, bmp, png, raw ] and the file size of that picture , which can be resolution.

The real story is what do you plan to do with the picture.

example....

1) print a photo quality 2x3 in wallet size 

2) quick viewing on low definition type computer monitor

3) printing a 2' x 3' poster for framing...

or...

4) saving a family album from phone cams for facebook....

My point is that will determine the type of picture file and resolution needed and the file size required.

FMP is not a graphics/photo program and you must determine or use another application to make the picture size and resolution.

You could make a low resolution thumbnail, quick picture and then script the final picture to use when necessary.

Jim....