AnsweredAssumed Answered

I'd like to be able to set an Alert (calculation) field in a master file, that tells me whether...

Question asked by StephenMallery7287 on Nov 3, 2011
Latest reply on Nov 3, 2011 by StephenMallery7287

I'd like to be able to set an Alert (calculation) field in a master file, that tells me whether certain conditions exist in a related file.

The challenge is that the master file contains one record to the related file's many records -- how to discriminate and find the specific conditions I am looking for?

Specifically:

The master file is my database of clients.  I have a related file, Projects.  Some projects are Open, others are Closed.  (I keep Closed projects for future reference.)  I want to be able to be alerted when a client has an Open project. 

Before I had so much data and the desire for more sophisticated tracking, I just kept project notes in a handful of fields in the master file.  Everything was within one record.  So I was able to use a simple Alert calculation:

If(Project title >0, "Project Open","")

Thus, whenever there was a project (which had to have a title), the field would return "Project Open" in my main layout, reminding me that I could go to the projects layout for all the information.

Now, with a related file and a little bit of history, including both Open and Closed projects for the same client, everything has a title (whether open or closed), so that's no good.  I tried keying off of a project status field ("Open", "Closed") in the related records, but there are multiple records for each client, some with Open some with Closed. It can't discriminate.

Is there a way I can set an Alert calc that will tell me when there is, among the many related records, one that is Open?

Whatever I try either "sticks" on or off (tells me there is a project, even if they're all closed; or tells me nothing at all, even if there is an open project).

I attach a screen shot of a piece of my main workspace, where I schedule calls and tasks and log calls made etc.  The Projects tab contains a portal that shows all the project data from the related file.  The "Project(s)" alert shown is what I am after -- among the hundreds of clients, I want it to alert (remind) me when I am there that there is a project Open.

Thanks!

screen_shot_of_main_layout_with_Project_Alert.JPG

Outcomes