6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2009 6:01 PM by LLBoyo

I'd Like to Build a Knowledge Base Database But...

hopkinsprinting

Title

I'd Like to Build a Knowledge Base Database But...

...does FileMaker have a field type that can combine text and imagery in a single scrolling field/window?  I guess this would be called either an HTML or perhaps a rich text field?

Thanks,

Jon :-) 

• 1. Re: I'd Like to Build a Knowledge Base Database But...
          Jens Teich
             You can have browser type objects called webviewer which can be filled with HTML from FM calculations.

Jens
          • 2. Re: I'd Like to Build a Knowledge Base Database But...
            hopkinsprinting

Hi Jens,

Thanks for the reply.  Do you know if there are any example databases out there that use this type of object?  I am new to FileMaker.

Thanks so much!

• 3. Re: I'd Like to Build a Knowledge Base Database But...
              TSGal

hopkinsprinting:

Thank you for your post.

If you already have FileMaker Pro (trial or full release), open up a database file, pull down the View menu and select Layout Mode.  If you are using FileMaker Pro 10, then along the top in the Status area are several icons representing tools.  Putting your cursor over these tools will give you a description.  Towards the right side, find the Web Viewer tool and use that to draw a box on the layout to display the HTML.  Select the web address you want viewed and click OK.  Go to Browse mode and the Web viewer will display the information.

Let me know if you need clarification for the above steps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 4. Re: I'd Like to Build a Knowledge Base Database But...
                hopkinsprinting

Hi TSGal,

Many thanks for your reply!! :-)

My apologies for the confusion.  I am not looking to display a pre-made web page.  What i'd like to do is be able to create a new record in a FileMaker database, fill in some information into some basic text fields but then there would a "special field" that would allow me to type some text and then place some external images/graphics in between the text (and all in the same "field") and then publish the content on our intranet.

Does this make sense? 

Thanks so much!!!

• 5. Re: I'd Like to Build a Knowledge Base Database But...
                  TSGal

hopkinsprinting:

Thank you for the clarification.

No, you cannot display text with images in the same field.  You could display text with graphics using Custom Web Publishing and FileMaker Server.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 6. Re: I'd Like to Build a Knowledge Base Database But...
                    LLBoyo

hopkinsprinting,

Just as background, you'll find that databases don't do the sort of thing you're describing. They are pretty much all based on highly defined field types (text, numbers, etc.). This has many advantages as you get deeper into database development. The suggestion that TSGal made was the right approach. You can store text in a text field, images in a container field, and use calculations to create the web pages that the web viewer field will display.

From a data entry point of view, it's clunkier than what you are describing, but it avoids a million problems later when you try to make changes/additions to your database.

Best of luck!