4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2011 10:33 AM by philmodjunk

I'm being asked for a file that FM cannot locate

fmchris

Title

I'm being asked for a file that FM cannot locate

I upgraded my databases from FMP6 to FMP10. These included a pair of related files, "Charts" and "Charts (Old)". FMP6 would open Charts without demur, but FMP10 tells me "FM cannot locate 'Charts (Old)' " and presents me with an Open dialogue. I navigate to where Charts (Old).fp7 is, and everything is fine from then on. But why is FMP10 unable to find the related file?

Background information :

1. The FMP6 files are now called "Charts Old" and "Charts (Old) Old". Confusing, or what!

2. If there is a matching record on both Charts and Charts (Old), a sequence number from Charts (Old) is displayed in one Charts layout. That's all Charts (Old) is needed for.

3. The relationship between the two files is still there, but because of the difference in the way FMP6 and FMP10 operate, it's not possible to see if things are EXACTLY the same as they were. The relationship name is still the same, and the same scripts are being executed behind the relevant buttons.

4. I can open Charts (Old).fp7 on its own without problem. But even if it's already open, FMP10 still doesn't seem to be able to find it when I open Charts.

• 1. Re: I'm being asked for a file that FM cannot locate
          fmchris

Update

The precise message is 

"Charts (Old)" could not be opened. (Not found)

I've tried two more things :

1. I removed the ".fp7" suffix from Charts (Old) in case that was confusing things. That didn't achieve anything.
          2. After getting the message and locating the file, I then closed Charts without quitting FMP, and immediately re-opened it to see if the message would still appear. It did.

Anyone got any ideas about this?

• 2. Re: I'm being asked for a file that FM cannot locate
            philmodjunk

One of the new features avalailable to you in FileMaker 10 is Manage | External Data Sources...

You can open this section, find the reference to Charts (old) that isn't working and fix it there. Brace yourself, some converted files of this type can be quite "cluttered" with extra file references.

• 3. Re: I'm being asked for a file that FM cannot locate
              fmchris

Ok, I did that. Strangely, the only file that came up in the external Data Sources list was Charts (Old)! So I decided to add it again (+), and it appeared a second time, but this time without its full path. So I closed the database, re-opened it, and yay, no warning message. I don't know what I did exactly, except 'add' the file twice, but it seems to have worked. Smile

• 4. Re: I'm being asked for a file that FM cannot locate
                philmodjunk

A file reference without the full path is a "relative path". FileMaker uses this path to look for the file in the same directory as the current filemaker file. With Relative paths, you can keep all the files together in one folder and they'll continue to work even if you move the folder they are in around and/or rename an enclosing folder.

(And when you list several such references together like this, FileMaker starts at the top of the list and works its way down until it either finds and opens the file or runs out of references. The dialog you've been seeing is what appears when none of the listed references work.)