1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 24, 2013 11:35 AM by philmodjunk

I'm trying to see where certain information in a layout is stored. The person who originally created...

BeachedWhale

I'm trying to see where certain information in a layout is stored. The person who originally created a database and in one of the layouts, it has the information I need. I clicked edit layout to figure out which field and table the data came from. However all I saw was this: 

<<Shipping Address for Order::State>>

What does <<>> mean?

There is a Shipping Address field in table Order, but its a lookup of Shipping Address field in table Customer. But there the address isn't contained in that field either. 

I don't know if this is enough information for you to go on, but if you have any clue, that would be helpful.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: I'm trying to see where certain information in a layout is stored. The person who originally created...
          philmodjunk

<<>> are brackets indicating that this is a merge field--a non editable copy of the field that can merge it's data with layout text included in the same text block. You can look up "merge field" in Filemaker help if you need to know more.

Shipping Address for Order::

Identifies a table occurrence in your relationships graph. Look for a box in Manage | database | Relationships with this exact name and study how it links to the table occurrence box specified in Show Records From in Layout Setup.. for this layout to see how the relationship controls what data appears on the layout. You may need to hover the mouse over the upper left corner of Shipping Address for Order in order to get the name of it's data source table--a name you can select in the table drop down on the Fields tab to see what fields have been defined for that table and where you'll find a field named "state".