3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2013 1:54 PM by philmodjunk

ID field from data in 2 other fields

ScottRoe

Title

ID field from data in 2 other fields

I have a Vendors table which has contact info for my vendors.  It includes company, address and phone information.  I am trying to create a "Vendor ID" field which will assign the ID from the first letter of the company name, followed by the last 4 digits of the primary phone number.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

• 1. Re: ID field from data in 2 other fields
          philmodjunk

I don't recommend that you do that. What you describe is not guaranteed to be unique.

Example

You might have two companies with the following names and phone numbers:

Pinnacle Consulting, 209-546-5555
               Pyramid Games, 405-334-5555

they'd both get vendor ID's of P55555.

It may be unlikely that you'd get such a combination, but you only need to have it happen once to cause major problems and this is easily avoided if you use a different way to get your Vendor ID values. An auto-entered serial number in the Vendors table is a much better way to go to get Vendor ID's that will always be unique.

• 2. Re: ID field from data in 2 other fields
            ScottRoe

Good Point.  I was thinking the likelihood of that happening would be small enough that it wouldn't be a worry.  But, why buy trouble you don't already own. 

I may use the other pattern for customers, but entered manually.  That way, I can add a character if I need to.

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: ID field from data in 2 other fields
              philmodjunk

I may use the other pattern for customers, but entered manually.  That way, I can add a character if I need to.

The same arguments apply to customers and if you have several users adding new customer records at the same time, you may still get duplicate entries.