3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2011 2:46 PM by philmodjunk

Idea for a form

zayscott

Title

Idea for a form

I need to create a form that looks like the screen shot. I tried doing it as a to do list form, but that did not work. I guess I need some ideas on how to design ideas. I work for a real estate company and when a new agent arrives or leaves, there are a series of tasks that different people need to do to either in or out process the person. Well some tasks are being forgotten, or some are confused on who does what. So I am trying to device a method to make it easier to keep track or things. The screen shot is of an excel sheet I was trying it on. Excel would be good, but that would mean that we would have to wait on each other to make their entries, then close the excel sheet before another person can make their entries. I also want to make this available via the web (php publishing). So, with all this being said, I am open to ideas of a design or form type. Because each new record entry only creates a new line, rather than a new "sheet" (One agent per sheet), not sure if FM is the way to go. I also inserted what my current attempt in FM looks like.

my attempt in excel

FM Attempt

• 1. Re: Idea for a form
          philmodjunk

Looks like you've made a decent start here.

There are a number of methods that you can use to simplify how you use this file. There are several different ways that you could use to enter or select and agent's name, then click a button to get a new set of "task records" all assigned to that same agent.

Here's just one method:

Create a "master list" of the task records you want for each agent. Put "MasterList" in the Agent Name field for each of these task records.

Define a global text field, gAgent Name and put it on a layout somewhere with a button next to it. Attach the following script to this button:

Enter Find Mode []
          Set Field[Tasks::Agent Name ; "MasterList"]
          Perform Find[]
          Go To Record [first]
          Loop
             Duplicate Record
             Set Field [Tasks::Agent Name ; Tasks::gAgent Name]
             Omit Record
             Go To Record [first]
             Omit Record
             Exit Loop If [ Get ( FoundCount ) = 0]
          End Loop
          Enter Find Mode[]
          Set Field [Tasks::Agent Name ; Tasks::gAgent Name]
          Perform Find[]

Note: this setup produces a new task list in the same order as the master list records were created. Subsequent changes to this list may result in an order that isn't what you need here. You can control this order by adding a number field to indicate the sequence and then sorting on that field as the final step of the above script.

• 2. Re: Idea for a form
            zayscott

Wow that is awesome. Only issue is that agents come and go on the fly. Here is a thought or idea:

Create a value list for each person, then input their task in the list. Example

Value List name: Xavier;s List

create copy codes

update roster

update cooler

update global address book

Once list is created assign it to person as a dropdown. My only issue or concern how to set the form to keep or record that the task (s)was completed. Then there is the issue of selecting and holding the values for multiple selections. I tried using the list as checkboxes, but the went sideways instead of lengthwise. is there a way to make the checkboxes dropdown, or combine a dropdown and a checkbox? I am trying to keep from having a form that stretches half way across texas, lol.

new attempt

• 3. Re: Idea for a form
              philmodjunk

Your approach works better in Excel where it's easy to add columns of data on the fly than it does in FileMaker where adding a column means defining a new field.

It depends on how often the various task assignments change. If it's different every time you do this, I'd just define assigned to field with a value list of agents and leave the field empty in the master set of task records.

If it doesn't change that often, you can use the same value list, but assign the tasks on the master list record. Any time you need to update who is responsible for a given task, you find the MasterList set of these records and update as needed. Either way, if you generate a task list and then decided to make changes, you just edit the Assigned to fields by selecting different agent names from the value list. (And the value list can include an edit option to help you keep the agent list up to date.)