2 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2014 3:35 PM by philmodjunk

Ideas for tracking attendance using FMP 13

ChristopherMoore

Title

Ideas for tracking attendance using FMP 13

Hi, All-

Happy Memorial Day (weekend) to those of you in the US!

I recently purchased FMP 13 Advanced to use for our not-for-profit organization. We run a group children's home in Central America that has several peripheral activities that coincide. I am looking for a way to easily track regular attendance in activities for up to 200 children. I know that I could create a field for the date of every event (for example Thursday craft day on June 19) and then have a check box that I check for each student there. My problem is that I would continually be creating new events that are recurring. 

For example, each Thursday afternoon we do crafts in the village. I would love to find a way to create on event (Crafts) and automatically generate a new date each Thursday and then have the option to 'select all' and then 'deselect' those who don't attend, OR simply put a check in a box beside the name for each child that joined us that day. 

Has anyone ever built a database that tracks attendance for a employees, or church or other events that might have concepts transferable to what I'm aiming for here?

Any helpful direction you could point me toward would be HUGE!

Thanks!

Chris

• 1. Re: Ideas for tracking attendance using FMP 13
          mleering
          My initial thought is that you'll want one table for students, one table for events, and a join table that will sit between the two. The join table will essentially allow you to have a many to many relationship between students and events. Every time you create a new event record, you will probably want FileMaker to import all your students into your join table. Each of those newly imported records will not only point back to one student record (each), but they will all also point back to the newly created event. This way, they can all be seen in a portal from the event, and you can toggle their attendance accordingly.
          • 2. Re: Ideas for tracking attendance using FMP 13
            philmodjunk

There are a number of threads that discuss taking attendance here in this forum. You may be able to find some of them with a bit of searching for the keyword "attendance".

In addition to Matthew's suggestion, many folks find that they need two sets of relationships, one to show who is enrolled in a given class or class session and one set to track actual attendance. Some times a script that runs through the enrollment roster generating one related record for each student for the next class meeting is helpful.