2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2010 8:44 AM by neu

Identifiying unused fields in a large database

neu

Title

Identifiying unused fields in a large database

I have a database containing about 330 fields in its largest layout. This was built from a previous database which had similar functions,but from which a lot has changed as it morphed into its current manifestation. Thus, there are a number of fields left over from the earlier version which are no longer used in the current version. Is there a way in FMP 10 (this is NOT the Advanced version) to identify which fields are actually being used and which are not, short of going through the layout and making a list, then checking it against the table of fields in Manage Database?  Running FMP 10 and Windows 7. Many thanks.

• 1. Re: Identifiying unused fields in a large database
          ninja

Not that I know of (though others may educate me by reply).

FMP Advanced has a database Design Report that provides this info.

When I culled fields using FMP8 (not advanced) I would screen capture the field list from Define>Database, paste it into ppt, print it out, and go through each layout highlighting the fields on paper.  The ones that never got highlighted were inspected for their current function and often deleted.

This was a painful process, so I upgraded to Advanced and now use the design report to do the same thing.  It's much quicker and less tedious.

• 2. Re: Identifiying unused fields in a large database
            neu

Ninja -- Thank you. This will probably be my best method for the moment, though might consider Advanced for the future, depending on other needs.