AnsweredAssumed Answered

Identifying matching data from an outside contact list in Filemaker Pro

Question asked by rowing190 on Nov 19, 2008
Latest reply on Apr 19, 2011 by SARAHTEAGUE

Title

Identifying matching data from an outside contact list in Filemaker Pro

This is more of a general question about Filemaker Pro 9's functionality. There are many times when my company purchases a mailing list from a third party source to supplement our in-house database for specific mailing campaigns. My question is whether it is possible to employ fuzzy logic within Filemaker Pro 9 in order to identify matches between the third party mailing list and our in-house database. For example, Robert Johnson is the first and last name in our database; Bob Johnson is the first and last name in the third party database. Or 3M might be the company name in our database and 3 M the company name in the third party database. Currently, I can match on exact first name, last name, company name and zip code and identify some of the matches between lists. But this is not really sufficient. The examples I mentioned above will not be caught. So a fuzzy logic program is needed to identify these inexaxt matches. I understand that this might entail hiring a developer to create this functionality. But we are in the midst of looking at various off-the shelf software packages that identify duplicates and was wondering whether or not it might be best for us to implement this functionality within Filemaker Pro 9 if at all possible.

Thanks for any help you can offer. 

rowing190

Outcomes