brian.curran

Title

If 'Bank Holiday', charge Double rate

In MS Access, I had a table consisting of Holiday dates:

25/12/2012
           26/12/2012
           01/01/2013
           Etc.

Whenever a Visit occurred on one of these dates (some form of VLookUp), the billing amount for that Visit would double. Would FM need something similar to record these dates?

Thanks
           Brian.

• 1. Re: If 'Bank Holiday', charge Double rate
          brian.curran

I added the Table as above and created a relationship to Visits then used:
               If ( Visits::CalledDate = BankPublicHolidays::Date ; 2 ; 1 )

Seems to work as desired but keen to hear of any better methods...

Thanks
               Brian.

• 2. Re: If 'Bank Holiday', charge Double rate
            philmodjunk

Exactly the same related table may be used in FileMaker.

Define a table of Holiday dates and relate it by the date field.

YourMainTable::DateFIeld = Holidays::DateFIeld

In field options for your rate table add an auto-enter calculaiton such as:

If ( Holidays::DateField ; Holidays::HolidayRate ; Globals::gStandardRate )

There are a number of possible variations on this method--depending on how you want to manage different rates, but that should at least point you in the correct direction.

Note: there are three basic methods for copying data from a related table:

1) an auto-enter calculations--what I've described here

2) a looked up value field option--you'll find this option also on the auto-enter tab in field options

3) use a script--not normally necessary except for special cases

There are other options for establishing a "live" link that, unlike the above, update values automatically if a value in the related table is modifiied.