AnsweredAssumed Answered

IF Function Difficulty

Question asked by jellis_nz on Nov 2, 2009
Latest reply on Nov 3, 2009 by philmodjunk

Title

IF Function Difficulty

Hi,

I'm trying to create an IF Function in a field where the calculation to be used is determined by whether or not another field contains a particular word, rather than the field actually being equal to a defined word.  Maybe an example will better explain my problem...

Space       Area         Rate         Rental

Office       500sqm     $50/sqm    $25,000

Carparks   30cpks      $30/wk      $46,800

The calculation field I'm refering to is in the Rental field which is calculated by multiplying the Area field by the Rate field.  However, if the calculation is for carparks then it needs to be Area x Rate x 52weeks.  This is where I'm trying to use the IF function... here the real difficulty arises in the large dataset I'm working with because in a lot of cases the field has a large degree of variation such as 'Carparks', 'Carpark', 'Carparks - Covered', 'Carparks - Open' making it difficult to simply make an IF function to return an answer if the Space field equals 'Carparks'.

What I need is a way to make the Rental field formula something like this: IF(Space Contains "Carpark", Area*Rate*52, Area*Rate). However for the life of me I cannot find a way to devise a formula that returns a TRUE result if a field contains (or is Like) a string of letters.  Can anyone help me please?!

I'm currently trialing Filemaker Pro 10 on Windows XP OS, so I'm quite new to the Filemaker software.

Thanks!

Outcomes