4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2014 2:10 PM by ChrisJohnston

If loss of network?

ChrisJohnston

Title

If loss of network?

If a FileMaker solution you are sharing through a network loses network access for a while what will happen? I mean will you still have access to what is open (the solution) on the client side, and it update when the network comes back?

• 1. Re: If loss of network?
          philmodjunk

Usually, you'll get an error message that the connection has been lost and you have to re-open the file on the hosted database once you've regained communication with the host.

• 2. Re: If loss of network?
            ChrisJohnston

Is there anyway to have a solution that updates records once connected to the network. I mean like having  a copy on one computer (other than the host) and when it comes on the network it updates the others, or does that always have to be the host? Thanks

• 3. Re: If loss of network?
              philmodjunk

This is a common occurrence when using iPhones and iPads in places where a wireless connection to a hosted database is not reliable or too slow. The solutions are not simple and third party produced solutions can be costly, but they do work. The client device has a separate copy of the database (it may just store a selected subset of the total data) and then a script is used to "synch" the data in the two system to produce a unified copy stored on the server.

You may want to look at the 3rd party products offered by 360Works and SeedCode.

• 4. Re: If loss of network?
                ChrisJohnston

I have read about SeedCode and have never fully understood until now. Thanks so much!