3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2011 5:46 AM by Jade

If not a Portal for printed reports, then what?

DavidConrad

Title

If not a Portal for printed reports, then what?

I must be missing something obvious...

Context: Address List table and Payment table linked by a simple id_no

Purpose: Print (note - on paper, not on screen!) a found set of People, with a list of their payments

Issue: The context for my printed Layout is the Address list table.  I have a found set of folks (usually dozens) then I want to print a report that contains the person's name and address, then all of that person's Payments.   The problem in my mind (and I know I'm thinking about this wrongly) is that if the "context" is the Person, I can't figure out how to print a list of their related records from the Payments table.  Of course this is trivial on-screen using a portal - but that's not for printed reports.

So I guess the question is, what's the equivalent of a portal for the printed report.  It's like I need to switch the context to the Payments table, but each layout has a single context, right?

Thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: If not a Portal for printed reports, then what?
          Jade

Yes, use a Payments layout in preview mode.  Put the payment report fields in the body of the layout and the related Person's name, address, etc. in the header (or footer) of the layout.  

• 2. Re: If not a Portal for printed reports, then what?
            DavidConrad

Jade, thank you for taking the time.

But, this only seems to apply if I was printing a single page for a single person.  What I'm trying to do is create a printed report with perhaps a hundred people and their Payments in a running list

Person 1

Person 1's first gift

Person 1's second gift

Person 1's giving total

Person 2

Person 2's first gift 

Person 2's second gift

Person 2's giving total

Person 3

You get the idea.  

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: If not a Portal for printed reports, then what?
              Jade

Hi David,

First, ensure that you have found and sorted all the Payment records that you want to print.  Also make sure that you have selected the option "Print: Records being browsed" in the FileMaker tab of the Print dialog box (instead of the "current record" option).

As for the "giving total", add a Summary or Sub-summary part to your layout with the break-field set to the Person (or Person_id) and put the sum in this part.

P.S. You can control the pagenation (for instance the number of payments lines that print for each person per page) by double clicking the part button (in this case the Page button) and selecting the desired options on the part dialog box.