2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2014 11:41 AM by mattyj198

If one field = yes then another field will = something else?

mattyj198

Title

If one field = yes then another field will = something else?

I don't know to much about calculations in FileMaker but what I want to do is have 2 fields.  the first one will be for equipment type.  When you select the equipment type from a drop down window (I can do the drop down window)  I would like the model number to auto fill in the model number field.  Is this possible?  There will only be 3 different model numbers.

If anyone can help me or point me in the right direction of where to look to learn how to do this that would be great!

Thanks, Matt.

• 1. Re: If one field = yes then another field will = something else?
          philmodjunk

While a calculation can be set up to return the model number, it may be much more flexible an approach to set up a related table such that selecting your value in the drop down list looks up the needed data from the related table. That way, future changes to what data might need to appear can be handled just be editing data in the table instead of having to redefine a calculation field.

A possible calculation if you insist on using that method:

Case ( EquipmentType = "First equip type goes here" ; Model number of this type goes here ;
                            EquipmentType = "Second equip type goes here" ; Model number of second type goes here ;
                            Model number of third type goes here
                         )

Case is a function that you can look up in FileMaker help.

• 2. Re: If one field = yes then another field will = something else?
            mattyj198

Thanks for the help.  I will look that up and give it a try!