13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2013 3:47 PM by philmodjunk

Image drag and drop problem.

bigtom

Title

Image drag and drop problem.

I guess I am used to being able to drag and drop just about anything and this worked quite well with Bento.

When I try to drag and drop images from a browser into a FM12 container I get the URL or the file path. The image dies not display. I did a search and found someone who had this issue with Chrome and they were advised to use a different browser. The browser does not matter.  It works from iPhoto, but I would be pretty happy if it worked from the web.

I have been copying and pasting the images into the container. I am pretty disappointed if FM does not really have true drag and drop for browser images like I had with Bento. So many things about FM are backwards from a user perspective compared to Bento. I thought this was supposed to be better.

Is there a known way to make this work properly? Is this fixed in FM13? It seems to be a known issue.

• 1. Re: Image drag and drop problem.
          gcatnine

I made a test with FM12 and it works very well (from Firefox).

Check with the Inspector, if, in your layout, the container is optimized for images (“Data > Data Formatting”) and check Images

• 2. Re: Image drag and drop problem.
            bigtom

Very strange. I have tried with Firefox and Safari. Neither work. If I drag an image from the page I get the entire page URL. If I view the image in the browser and then drag it I get the image URL. Neither way gets me the image.

The container is set for images in the inspector. I have tried all the other settings as well.

• 3. Re: Image drag and drop problem.
              philmodjunk

And what do you get if you drag and drop from your browser to a different application such as MS Word? I get the same results there--the URL. I suspect that the issue is with the web browser and not FileMaker. That drag and drop copies the URL instead of the image file--which probably needs to be downloaded to your computer before it could be drag/dropped into a container field.

But if you can get the image file's URL into a text field, then Insert From URL can insert the image at that location into a container field. And since Dropping dragged data into a field trips the OnObjectModify trigger, you could script this such that dragging the URL to a text field automatically inserts the image into a container field.

• 4. Re: Image drag and drop problem.
                bigtom

Phil,

When I drag direct from the browser to MS Word or Pages or Excel or just about any other application I get the image and not the URL. This behavior is isolated to Filemaker.

I tried a quick script to insert from URL, but the problem is I am not getting the URL for the image I am getting the entire page URL not eh URL path to the image. So, no image.

• 5. Re: Image drag and drop problem.
                  bigtom

The script works if I view the image in the browser and then drag and drop because I then get the actual URL path to the image. This required the same extra clicking that a copy paste does so not much of an improvement.

I sometimes get a connection error with this insert from URL script. My connection is fine.

How does this script change the way drag and drop normally works for files. I need that as well.

• 6. Re: Image drag and drop problem.
                    philmodjunk

The script does not change the way drag and drop normally works for files.

• 7. Re: Image drag and drop problem.
                      bigtom

That is great but this still is not working correctly. I appreciate the help. I guess I will file a ticket with Filemaker if I cannot figure it out. Other people seem to have this working just fine and it is certainly something I expect to be working.

• 8. Re: Image drag and drop problem.
                        philmodjunk

I think you missed my point. In the attached image, I have done a drag and drop in FireFox, windows 7 of my forum "avatar" icon to MS Word. The result is the link text shown in blue. If I right click the same item and select "copy image" and then right click and Paste in Ms Word, get the image instead of the URL text.

So my  main point: I don't think this is any kind of bug or problem with FileMaker, it would appear to be a case where the web browser is doing exactly what it was designed to do. It just isn't what you want it to do.

I then suggested a work around that might allow you to do a drag and drop action that successfully inserts an image from your web browser into your container field in FileMaker. I don't know if it will work for you or not. My latest test indicates that it won't in many cases as this link is not the URL to the actual image but to the web page this image for which this image was designed to open when it was clicked.

I get the same results dragging from Face book, unless I click a picture to open it in Face Book's viewer first, then I get the URL to the actual image file when I drag and drop. Thus, I could drag and drop from that image and get the URL for it into a text field. This could trip an OnObjectModify script trigger to perform a script. The script can then use Insert From URL to insert the image into a container field. The user does a drag and drop and then get's the image appearing in a container field.

But only if the URL inserted by the drag and drop is the URL to the image and that depends on the design of the web page from which you are dragging the image.

• 9. Re: Image drag and drop problem.
                          bigtom

Here is an image of me dragging your image into MS Word on my computer.

• 10. Re: Image drag and drop problem.
                            bigtom

This is the same thing into FM12 Container.

• 11. Re: Image drag and drop problem.
                              bigtom

This is the same thing into the old Bento solution.

The fact is the browser with direct drag and drop does exactly what I want it to do with every other application except Filemaker. I am sorry that you do not get images directly into MS Word, but I do and that seems to be where we have a difference of what is expected.

• 12. Re: Image drag and drop problem.
                                bigtom

This is the reference I found from a few months ago.

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10569/kw/drag%20drop%20image/related/1

• 13. Re: Image drag and drop problem.
                                  philmodjunk

Which is not what I have suggested that you do. My last two posts where an attempt to explain why you might get that result.

However, I just ran a quick test and when I drag and drop into a container field in FileMaker 13, I do get an image, not the URL. This works for both "interactive" and "image" type container objects. I then tried this in FileMaker 12 and got identical results so I can't tell why this is not working for you.