6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2010 4:38 PM by JCPython

Image Gallery

JCPython

Title

Image Gallery

Hey Everyone!

Well Something Ive been trying to accomplish for a while now has finally got me to take the time and ask the forums lol.

I have many different image fields in my database and some on different layouts, each image field has a button that i want to set to enlarge the desired photo into a much large image field on a pop up layout....so far all i have been able to do is create several laouts each having a image field, but i would like to just have one master laout with 1 image field. so if i click on one image to enlarge it brings up the master layout, close that window and select another image field and have it show with the same master layout. im not all that great with variables, and im certain thats what is needed...i think? lol

Thanks for all the great help so far guys, really appreciate it

• 1. Re: Image Gallery
          philmodjunk

This would appear to complicate things for you:

I have many different image fields in my database and some on different layouts,...

This may not be practical, but if you can store all your images in a related image table, then your pop up layout becomes possible as you can bring up this layout in a new window and use a find or Go To Related Records to bring up the desired image in it. If the images are in different fields and tables, this becomes much more difficult to implement and having several similar layouts--each referring to a different table and/or field may actually be easier to implement.

• 2. Re: Image Gallery
            JCPython

Hmmm That makes very much sence.

So i can just create a table called "Photos" and add my several different image fields, and i need to add a field like "ID" right? i started using filemaker last year and i remember how it took me a real long time to get my first relationship to work in my tables, now its been like 8 months since i touched filemaker and i feel like im just starting out again lol

• 3. Re: Image Gallery
              philmodjunk

One image field per record (not several) is what you want here with a second serial number field to serve as the image ID for that record.

• 4. Re: Image Gallery
                JCPython

ok I created a table called "HP Photos" and add 2 fields:

image - Container

imageID - text, serial, can't modify

now like i said i have image fields in different tables placed on several layouts, do i just add relationships from imageID to all my image fields i have in place?

• 5. Re: Image Gallery
                  philmodjunk

Remember that I said this may not be practical. I've suggested an approach, but you'll have to look at the structure of your system to decide if it will work for you and is worth the effort.

You'll need to define import, copy and paste, insert or some combination of all these to move the existing images into your new table. You'll also need to define relationships linking your existing tables to this image table by the Image ID number (This should be a serial number). Once that's done you would replace your existing container fields with the related container field from your new table.

• 6. Re: Image Gallery
                    JCPython

Ok I'll have to play around with it some tonight and see what i can do, thanks for getting me on the right path :D