10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2009 3:00 AM by 911

Image/video capture

tiand

Title

Image/video capture

I have 2 questions in regard to development of a new database

1. is it possible to capture the output of an iSight camera or the built-in camera on an iMac directly into a record as a still image?

2. Can I capture video from a video source such as a video camera connected via firewire, or even the isight camera directly into a record as an mpeg or similar format?

• 1. Re: Image/video capture
          rmanook

Hi tiand,

Unfortunately, the ability to capture video or images and directly input them into a record is not a native feature to FileMaker.  If you already have the images or video file, you can insert or import them into a container field, but again, FileMaker will not capture the images or video.

However, there may be some third party plug-ins available.  A great place to start looking would be the FileMaker plug-in list on the FileMaker website: 

http://developer.filemaker.com/solutions/results/?sol_category=5&sol_region_amr=1

Thanks for posting your questions!

Tsturtle

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: Image/video capture
            blackcat795

I use a TWAIN compliant capture device to get images from an attached video source & a Plug-in that processes the image to the relavent container field.

The plug in will call the TWAIN device which will bring up a live image window for that device which will have a capture option, on Capture the image is processed to your containar field & the Live window is closed.

Quality of you image is down to two things, the qualtiy of the camara & the capture resolution of yor twain device. Have a good video source & a low res capture device & result will be poor.

HTH

Blackcat

• 3. Re: Image/video capture
              tiand

Facenating. Thank you both for your input (pardon the pun). 

Blackcat, could you tell me what TWAIN device you use and what plug-in you use to get the input into the container field? 

As far as stills I was under the impression FMP did have a way to do that internally. I am wrong? 

• 4. Re: Image/video capture
                blackcat795

Filemake cannot do this internally means that is no support for containers to display 'live' images from a vidio source so you have to use a thirdparty offering to capture the image.

May base setup uses the Troi Grabber plugin with a Belkin Video Bus II capture device. For my purposes this is ok although I would like to find a higher resolution capture device to give me better resolution. my setup is very cheap to but but with more money you could linke a firewire camera to a converter & use a higher end capture card. My system is used on a laptop for portabilty but if you are on statice PC there is a huge amount of Twain complient capture cards to choose from.

Blackcat

• 5. Re: Image/video capture
                  blackcat795

If you let me know what it is you are looking to do then maybe I can steer you in th right direction as you seem to both live image & Stills to process.

• 6. Re: Image/video capture
                    tiand
                       Absolutely. It is a solution for a casting office. I would like a user to fill out a record with their personal info, then look into a camera (med to low quality like the one built into an iMac is fine) and add their image to the record. Then, I would like to have another field in the same record where I can have them audition in front of a video camera, preferably attached to the computer via firewire, and in real time capture the video performance and add it to the record. 
                    • 7. Re: Image/video capture
                      blackcat795

Absolutely. It is a solution for a casting office. I would like a user to fill out a record with their personal info, then look into a camera (med to low quality like the one built into an iMac is fine) and add their image to the record. Then, I would like to have another field in the same record where I can have them audition in front of a video camera, preferably attached to the computer via firewire, and in real time capture the video performance and add it to the record.

Ok, its been a while but for the mac you can use quicktime to do both if I remember correctly, dont ask how as not used a mac for about 6 years. do a search on quicktime in the forums for help on this but you should already have everything you need on your I mac to do the first part.

Basically the still image can be done as I have already indicated, the video performace however is slightly different & you have two options here, first you could manually save the performance as a Quicktime file & then manually drag/drop the QT file into a Container in the record, the file will appear in the container as a QT icon which you would double click on to view, alternatively using a plugin like insidescan you can define a file name & path for the performance file & have scripted button go get & run the file for you. In both case the performance file will be opened externally in a separate quicktime window.

If you want the file to be viewed in the record you may want to look at using a web viewer window! just a thought.

Hope this helps 

Blackcat

PS cant reply again tonight as it time to retire to catch some zz'zzz's

Good luck & let me know know how you get on, I will look up my older 

files & see how I did it on the Mac 6 years ago.

• 8. Re: Image/video capture
                        clemhoff

Hello all,

I don't monitor this list, but a friend of mine told me about this thread....

I (very) recently posted on the French forum "FMSource" a Mac OSX only solution that allows capturing still images from any FireWire or USB webcam.    
                        If you're interested on how it works, feel free to register and download the archive "CapturePictureFromVideoDevices.zip"

Path to thread:
                        Capturez Vos Images Depuis Filemaker Avec Une Webcam

In this solution I also provide the ability of:
                        - automatically creating folders and subfolders as well (images are transferred directly to the intended destination).
                        - image editing:

• crop
                        • resize
                        • pad
                        • flip h/v
                        • rotate
                        • change image resolution
                        • change color space.

However, once the file unzipped, you've to correct a small error. Switch to layout mode and set field "Pict_MainFolder"'s value list to "MAINFOLDERS" (currently set to "SUBFOLDERS".)

Go back to browse mode.

Press "Capture" button :smileysurprised:

Enjoy !!

Caveats:
                        - iBook's integrated flash doesn't fire in shadowed environment.
                        - doesn't make coffee

clem

• 9. Re: Image/video capture
                          tiand

wow Clem, this may be exactly what I ma looking for. Thank you so much, and thank everyone on this forum for your help. It was truly apreciated. 

Now I have to go grab my wife (who speaks fluent french) to translate everything for me :) 

• 10. Re: Image/video capture

Hi

on my Mac for capturing video i use Macvide ScreenCap