4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2012 3:38 PM by lauriehughes

images can not be found

lauriehughes

Title

images can not be found

I am connecting remotely to a database but it is saying ...

file cannot be found

with regard to images I have LINKED to a container cell.

If I use the machine that created the links I can see the images.

If I open the file on any machine (rather then open remotly) then the images are there.

The database and the images are  in a drop box folder that all the machines can see.

Can anyone suggest why this is happening and what the soulution might be?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: images can not be found
          philmodjunk

The database and the images are  in a drop box folder that all the machines can see.

This is not a safe way to share your database unless it is strictly read-only (no changes/additions/deletions permitted). The edits by one user can replace the edits made by another if both access the file at the same time.

If I use the machine that created the links I can see the images.

This suggests that the filepath stored inside the container field is not a valid file path on the other computers. I've noticed, for example, that my dropbox account on my XP machine is not located at exactly the same place on my windows 7 machine. Thus, this approach would not work--even with a read-only database for these two machines that I most frequently use.

• 2. Re: images can not be found
            lauriehughes

I am new to filemaker pro so I appriciate you getting back to me, thanks!

I get what you are saying about the dangers of drop box. However if everyone only opens the file remotlely would there still be the danger of over writing someones work?

And true, I had not thought about the differences in location of someones drop box, but what gets me is that if you open the file then the images are there but if you open it remotely they disapear.

I think you are right, it must be to do with dropbox.

I am thinking that I will embed the images and take the database off dropbox. I believe there is a script that can embed the images that are linked.

Thanks again

L

• 3. Re: images can not be found
              philmodjunk

How do they "open the file remotely"? Does one user open the file and then the others use open remote to connect to it? How would you coordinate that to make sure that no one opens it directly by mistake? It's far safer to place the file in a directory that is not shared and to then use Filemaker Pro or Filemaker Server installed on the same machine to open and host the database in order for others to use Open Remote to access it.

When you insert a file with the "store a reference" option, Filemaker stores the precise filepath to that file. If you are using FileMaker 12, I suggest using the external storage option for your container field. If you are using an older version, you need to store these files in a shared directory and each user should then map and mount to that shared directory with exactly the same file path--which can be a problem if you have both mac and windows systems. You would then place the file in this shared diretory and insert it into your container from there.

And please note that a script can be used so that the user inserts the file and then the script exports it to the shared directory and re-inserts it from that location.

• 4. Re: images can not be found
                lauriehughes

again thankyou,

yes it is a bit of a wrangle to make sure there are not any accidents when opening.

that all seems like a much better way to go.

we are all on macs so hopefully that will help

cheers