4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2014 1:42 AM by akkadian

Images not displaying in container field

akkadian

Title

Images not displaying in container field

I have over 40,000 records in my database and each one has an image names the same as the serial number. I have created a container field to display this image but I cannot get the field to display anything. I have followed the FM instructions on external storage of images and base directories but nothing will transfer. Drag and drop does work but obviously I'm not going to do that for 40,000 records. The process appears to be simple but I'm not having much luck.

• 1. Re: Images not displaying in container field
          philmodjunk

Am I correct that you are converting the container field to external storage?

How were the images originally inserted?

Where they inserted with the "store a reference" option selected?

and each one has an image names the same as the serial number.

What do you mean by "image name"? is this the name of the file or text in a text field of the same record as the container field?

• 2. Re: Images not displaying in container field
            akkadian

What I want is my new container field to reference and display an existing image for each record. For example: for the record 14030035 I want an image I have in my images folder called 14030035.jpg to display in a container field - without any converting of the image. Is this the way if works? No images are currently inserted.

• 3. Re: Images not displaying in container field
              philmodjunk

Your first and last posts seem to contradict each other:

I have over 40,000 records in my database

No images are currently inserted.

If you have one or more container fields in your database and you have images in them, then you have images inserted into container fields in your database. If this is the case then "no images are currently inserted" is not the case. If you do not have images in container fields, then the first statement is not the case.

So I am still trying to determine exactly what you have at this moment before I provide advice in what to do.

If there are no images in your database, then you can use Import Records | Folder to import them into a container field in your database and that can be a container field set up for external storage.

If you already have images in container fields, it depends on how you got them into those container fields. You may need to simply change the storage option on the container field and wait while FileMaker copies the files into the specified external storage location. Or you may need a looping script to do this. It depends on how you inserted those files into the container fields.

And I am still waiting for an answer to this question:

What do you mean by "image name"? is this the name of the file or text in a text field?

• 4. Re: Images not displaying in container field
                akkadian

Thanks, this is the answer to my problem:

"If there are no images in your database, then you can use Import Records | Folder to import them into a container field in your database and that can be a container field set up for external storage."

I was trying to use calculations  ...etc within the container field to reference the image and never thought you could import as above.

I use Autocad all day for my day job and bringing in reference files works a lot differently.